Anyone know a good remedy for shellfish allergy?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
just curious as I am quite violently allergic to shellfish and have always wondered what shrimp, crab and lobster taste like... :)

Shellfish_Allergy.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
just curious as I am quite violently allergic to shellfish and have always wondered what shrimp, crab and lobster taste like... :)

You are missing nothing much. :) Shrimp tastes a lot like lobster. The texture of the meat is "fatty" with a more substantial texture than say...the fat on a steak. Shrimps are much smaller, but the taste of their meat is so similar to lobster it is hard to tell the difference. Lobster meat is always prepared differently from shrimp because it is a much bigger bit of meat. The "traditional" way involves lots of butter and sometimes garlic. The texture is rich and many people do not like it. Without seasoning and proper prep, it can be bland and boring. Crab is stringy and has a more fibrous texture than lobster or shrimp. It does not taste good by itself, unseasoned (no shellfish does).

I no longer eat any shellfish (as of 2012) or any scavenger fish or animals of any kind. Unfortunately for me that also means oysters (I used to love them).

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
You are missing nothing much. :) Shrimp tastes a lot like lobster. The texture of the meat is "fatty" with a more substantial texture than say...the fat on a steak. Shrimps are much smaller, but the taste of their meat is so similar to lobster it is hard to tell the difference. Lobster meat is always prepared differently from shrimp because it is a much bigger bit of meat. The "traditional" way involves lots of butter and sometimes garlic. The texture is rich and many people do not like it. Without seasoning and proper prep, it can be bland and boring. Crab is stringy and has a more fibrous texture than lobster or shrimp. It does not taste good by itself, unseasoned (no shellfish does).

I no longer eat any shellfish (as of 2012) or any scavenger fish or animals of any kind. Unfortunately for me that also means oysters (I used to love them).

The ancient Hebrews were prohibited from eating any invertebrate seafood, and I wonder if they knew something that we do not.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The ancient Hebrews were prohibited from eating any invertebrate seafood, and I wonder if they knew something that we do not.

Perhaps they did...when you look at how shellfish live, eating them sorta becomes unappealing to me. They sit there and sift "garbage" from the sea. From lobsters to every crab to clams, mussels, oysters and bottom feeding sea mollusks, they are all scavengers and not free swimming. I now only eat free swimming fish. No bottom feeders (so long, catfish. :(), no shellfish. It is not a religious consideration, but you are probably onto something there. However calamari (squid) is still quite acceptable. :). All squid are predators. So are octopii but I could not eat an octopus.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Thanks for the impressions on taste. The thing is I love fish (Whitefish, Salmon, Perch and Catfish are favorites) and when around others who get to eat shrimp and such wondered what it was like.

Regarding Epi-pens, they are emergency measures in the event of anaphylaxis. I carry one when traveling on business in the event a group dinner has shellfish components and no one told me. Which happened once when we were in Chicago's Chinatown and I got some oyster sauce without warning.
--- merged: Aug 26, 2015 at 6:48 AM ---
Right now for example I am in Los Angeles (Woodland Hills).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

View attachment 31464

If you've ever crunched down on a large nerve eating a steak, that's the texture of shrimp and lobster. The taste varies a bit but I find lobster to be fishier whereas shrimp has an almost bland flavor.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
you have my deepest sympathy-- I can not imagine life without shellfish! the only person I ever knew with a shellfish allergy was my mother-in-law but you are much nicer than her! ;)