Andromeda - Way better than I remembered

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If Tyr's spikes are gone you're into Season 3. That is after Wolfe left as showrunner and to be honest the quality without him did go down.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If Tyr's spikes are gone you're into Season 3. That is after Wolfe left as showrunner and to be honest the quality without him did go down.

i am at about ep 4 or 5-one ep is corrupted.wont play

s2 was fun to watch,went through it pretty quick

i have also noticed that there IS other crew now, but i dont recall there being any in dialogue discussion of their arrival. they seem to be little more then set decoration

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
another thing about the show

seems to me that whatever person(s) were responsible for creating/writing the BSG character of Starbuck may have b een a fan of andromeda

particularly of the Beka character

yes, the two actresses have some physical similarity, but that's not is. the characters themselves-regardless of looks, could nearly be interchangeable with their attitudes, loyalty and rebelliousness

someone at BSG TPTB was a big Beka Valentine fan and perhaps tried to recreate her in Starbuck

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think Beka is a better character than Starbuck. She isn't self destructive and also has something of a moral center.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think Beka is a better character than Starbuck. She isn't self destructive and also has something of a moral center.

not saying that starbuck is better

just that there is a very,very close similarity between the two characters

too close for the characters style to be a separate thing without there being some kind of deliberate 'copying' of the valentine character

not saying that starbuck is better

just that there is a very,very close similarity between the two characters

too close for the characters style to be a separate thing without there being some kind of deliberate 'copying' of the valentine character

I think you're just conflating physical similarities in the actresses. The actual characters were quite different. Beka wasn't a sloppy, whiny, angry drunk with Borderline Personality Disorder. Beka was likable enough to hang out with while Starbuck was a crazy bitch from hell that you didn't want to be anywhere near -- ever.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think you're just conflating physical similarities in the actresses. The actual characters were quite different. Beka wasn't a sloppy, whiny, angry drunk with Borderline Personality Disorder. Beka was likable enough to hang out with while Starbuck was a crazy bitch from hell that you didn't want to be anywhere near -- ever.

Yep! You could actually understand why Harper, Trance and Rev Bem signed up with Beka and why they remained loyal to her. She repaid loyalty with loyalty.

Yep! You could actually understand why Harper, Trance and Rev Bem signed up with Beka and why they remained loyal to her. She repaid loyalty with loyalty.

And Beka wasn't a fundamentally angry person. Even when she had reason to be angry she never came off as vicious or out of control. In fact, she seemed to be a bit too forgiving at times, like towards her Uncle Sid who was a pretty horrible guy.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
beka has a lot of issues!!

her dead, drug addict dad-who was probably also a drug dealer

her uncle-who once tried to kill her

her unwillingness to submit to authority is exactly like starbuck-light

not to mention, she must have had problems recruiting people as her crew was a man eating magog and preacher (i dont know what would be worse--religion or being eaten alive? :) ) a purple rat girl and a dude who, so smart, is a serious geeky pain in the ass

BUT I KNOW what you are all trying to do--you think that because i liked bsg then that is why i am saying this

read more closely--i said that it seems that starbuck is modeled after the character of Beka-not the other way around. besides, andromeda came first

and , i am the one watching it now, the rest of you are drawing from memory. :)

we even see STARBUCK 'dressing up' once or twice on a dress/gown and makeup far diff from her usual appearance. the same was done with Beka on occasion. Starbuck was as uncomfortable dressed like a girly girl just as Beka was

even when Beka is a wing commander, she exhibits characteristics that were repeated (?) with starbuck when she was the CAG
and, starbuck has the sexual attitudes/aggressiveness in the same way Beka did

Of course, starbuck is more extreme, her character matches the overall 'dark' tone of BSG

i said that although they seem similar-the actresses- they do have some diff's. ryder looks taller and slimmer then sackhoff and ryder is also older then sackoff. culturally, one is canadian and the other is american

and hey EASY MAN!!! It is just my opinion FFS!!! :smiley-laughing021:

That is a simpleton's approach to everything; if they look alike they must be alike. At least I'm not the only one noticing his simpleton ways of thinking.

The hair and the musculature of the actresses is similar but I'm not seeing any connection between characters in terms of personality or story lines. I really don't think the BSG writers took much, if anything, from Andromeda. They were too busy stealing from soap operas to bother stealing from a (quasi) scifi show.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
The hair and the musculature of the actresses is similar but I'm not seeing any connection between characters in terms of personality or story lines. I really don't think the BSG writers took much, if anything, from Andromeda. They were too busy stealing from soap operas to bother stealing from a (quasi) scifi show.

Yes, that and waterboarding what was left of the real BSG.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

dont try and act like andromeda doesn't have its own share of soap and shipping!

beka tries to have sex with every man she meets and Dylan --especially in s3, has become the man-whore of the known worlds. even taking advantage of a crazy woman (mad to be saved ep) and saving "princesses" because they are "hot"

but the drama and shipping is just something you have to look past with all these new sci fi (and all) shows and focus on the rest of the story

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
it made sense before andromeda got a new crew, but in s3 there is no reason for tyr,beka,harper or trance to be "command crew".

sure , keep them on as dylan's personal buds, but i am sure that the commonwealth can provide him with a new command crew-one that is trained and has sworn allegiance to the commonwealth

they are disloyal -especially tyr always on the loose and beka refusing to swear her total allegiance to Dylan and the commonwealth. in the s3 finale she is more concerned with getting her ship back using the andromeda to do it, then in following the orders given to dylan from the fleet

why should they have codes to access core systems or sabotage the ship?

yes, writing done to fit the plot, i know, doesn't mean it makes any sense from any real perspective