Andromeda - Way better than I remembered

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
As to Rev I concur with Ms. Galore - his appearance is part of his character and accentuates the inner conflict - plus remember the Magog are genetically engineered creatures.

OK

But I still like my imagery of a disney like tinkerbell type fairy as a horrific flesh eating alien :icon_lol:

the deceptive and unexpected in a character, to me, is more terrifying then any outward ugliness

Last edited:
Kevin Sorbo was a bit flat as Dylan the lead character. It really did not cause an issue in the first few seasons as the show was VERY ensemble in nature and he was not dominant in the stories. Alas later in the show after Wolfe was forced out he did become more prominent but still flat.

I agree that Sorbo was flat. That's a good description of his performance. In retrospect he was miscast in the role. It should have gone to someone more dynamic and appealing. Sorbo had a small acting range that ran the gamut from boring to tedious for the most part. In any given scene it was the surrounding characters (the surrounding actors) that stood out despite the fact that Dylan Hunt was supposedly the unifying force that they orbited around; their raison d'etre so to speak.*

Nowhere is this contrast more apparent than in the numerous scenes with Sorbo and Lexa Doig. Even though Doig is playing the part of the ship's computer (for want of a better term) it's actually Sorbo who comes off emotionless and machine-like in his delivery. Doig as "Rommie" was actually more human than Sorbo as "Dylan Hunt", a character that was human.

*Yes the characters all had their own personal agendas but Dylan Hunt was the conduit through which they sought to achieve their goals and objectives, under the guise of helping him achieve his objective of resurrecting the Commonwealth.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree that Sorbo was flat. That's a good description of his performance. In retrospect he was miscast in the role. It should have gone to someone more dynamic and appealing. Sorbo had a small acting range that ran the gamut from boring to tedious for the most part. In any given scene it was the surrounding characters (the surrounding actors) that stood out despite the fact that Dylan Hunt was supposedly the unifying force that they orbited around; their raison d'etre so to speak.*

Nowhere is this contrast more apparent than in the numerous scenes with Sorbo and Lexa Doig. Even though Doig is playing the part of the ship's computer (for want of a better term) it's actually Sorbo who comes off emotionless and machine-like in his delivery. Doig as "Rommie" was actually more human than Sorbo as "Dylan Hunt", a character that was human.

*Yes the characters all had their own personal agendas but Dylan Hunt was the conduit through which they sought to achieve their goals and objectives, under the guise of helping him achieve his objective of resurrecting the Commonwealth.

He was miscast. He has a thing he does on TV but that thing was not what Andromeda needed. I can't think of who else might have been better though.

He was miscast. He has a thing he does on TV but that thing was not what Andromeda needed. I can't think of who else might have been better though.

Well there's always been a surplus of actors to choose from so I'm sure they could have found somebody. For what it's worth the guy that played "Tyr" would probably have done a great job in the role of "Dylan Hunt". Granted, he was an actor from a soap opera but as it turned out his performance on Andromeda was really dynamic and intriguing and engaging. He would have been killer in the lead role.

*Something that bugged me about the show and/or Sorbo's performance was when they tried to make "Dylan" a ladies man -- and they seemed to do that a lot I thought. It was like a really bad copy of Capt. Kirk when he seduces all those chicks on ST. But watching Sorbo in action wasn't titillating or even funny, it was just tedious and pathetic. Seriously, there was zero chemistry between him and the actresses he was pretending to seduce. In fact, I actually felt sorry for those women who had to pretend to be into a guy who makes wet cardboard seem exciting.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually Steve Bacic would have been a better Dylan - he played Rhade on the show.

Actually Steve Bacic would have been a better Dylan - he played Rhade on the show.

They actually had an alt-time/time jumping episode where Rhade played Dylan's role and experienced the same events, etc. He then sacrifices himself to make things right, blah blah blah. It's kind of a shame because in only one episode Bacic proved he was more appealing in the lead role than Sorbo ever was.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That was actually a pretty good episode, as Rhade in the alt timeline realizes that the underlying philosophies the Nietzscheans embrace are ultimately self defeating.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I should note that while Sorbo was a bit flat it did not sink the show. Likely this is because at least the first couple of seasons the stories were more ensemble in nature and also the rest of the cast compensated for his flatness.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I should note that while Sorbo was a bit flat it did not sink the show. Likely this is because at least the first couple of seasons the stories were more ensemble in nature and also the rest of the cast compensated for his flatness.

Like you said in the opening post, Andromeda is way better than I remembered. I think that is because right now there is so much crap "scifi" (fantasy soap set in space) out there. I used to hate the ship, and I did not like the character Dylan Hunt at first. But I have started watching it again and now I think it is pretty good! Better than Star Trek Discovery. But that isn't saying much! All in all, it's a good show. Unfortunately, because I know now that Kevin Sorbo is a far right wing racist, I can't watch the show.

Like you said in the opening post, Andromeda is way better than I remembered. I think that is because right now there is so much crap "scifi" (fantasy soap set in space) out there. I used to hate the ship, and I did not like the character Dylan Hunt at first. But I have started watching it again and now I think it is pretty good! Better than Star Trek Discovery. But that isn't saying much! All in all, it's a good show. Unfortunately, because I know now that Kevin Sorbo is a far right wing racist, I can't watch the show.

Andromeda was fairly schlocky at times. There were some lame story lines and bad FX and the characters could be ridiculous too. But over all it was palatable when it came to getting a pseudo-scifi fix. Scifi writing at the time had yet to become nothing but soap dialogue so it was still okay.

The thing I don't like is the superior attitude that Sorbo brought to the role. Instead of being the heroic lead that inspired others he just came across as an arrogant dick. Even the tone of his voice came across snippy and bitchy. He definitely wasn't the kind of guy you'd have a beer with just to shoot the shit.

And yeah, Sorbo turned out to be a Right wing dick in his personal life and uses that as an excuse for why he doesn't have a career anymore. Gee, I guess his inability to act has nothing to do with his failed career, does it? :daniel_new004:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
at the end of s1

some filler, character development eps, but i still like it

seems to me that purple rat girl could very well turn out to be some kind of "Q" like "devil" in a cutesy disguise

just a feeling

--i am really trying not to look anything up and so far, only looked up how the terms "neitzschean" and "wayist" are being applied in the show

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I found Episode 5 (Double Helix) to be very well constructed for filling in the blanks on who the Nietzscheans are and what they are about - it is the one where Tyr briefly becomes husband and father.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so yt has now changed the series to a pay for view

$1.99 an ep

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Still free on Roku Channel and Amazon Prime

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
into S2

so now there is a commonwealth

so, since they are staffing up star ships (the rescued old commonwealth fleet with the ACHILLES,ETC) and running an academy for more officers and crew, why hasn't any new crew been assigned to the ANDROMEDA?

and, i admit, i may have drifted off, but what happened to Tyr's spikes?