Andromeda Strain 2008

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I downloaded this, thinking I would be watching a good update of the original, but I am very disappointed. I find it overly dramatic, unrealistically public (given the current state of disclosure in the US), and basically overdone. I am watching Part 1 right now. I am not sure how they aired this thing, but I got two parts which is supposed to be the whole thing. It's basically two parts which are an hour and a half (two hours with commercials). I dont see why the writers of this version did not check with the CD or the military when doing it. This version seems done for stylistic reasons and PC reasons and not real science like the original. The labs and the story behind it seems contrived. Military protocols are not followed. The "edge" is gone from this version.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424600/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEjUfeG0yrA

I'm not through Part 2 yet, but I'm not impressed so far. Too much information about the origin of the organism, instead of the process of isolating it and rendering it harmless to humans on earth like the original. I don't get it. Don't the writers look at the appeal of the original material when writing sequels or remakes? This one should have been about the introduction of an alien organism into the terrestrial environment which could post a threat to Humanity. The story should have been about protocols for fighting this threat and then showing the process (and its flaws). This is not doing that at all so far. I will post more after watching the second half.

S

Stonelesscutter

This reminds me that I still have that orginal movie somewhere on my disk that I downloaded about half a year ago because somebody recommended it. Hmm... now where did I put that? :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
One of my favorite scenes is the guy who cuts his own head off with a chainsaw in the security cam video. If only I had that kind of power ... :icon_lol:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
yep it stunk like a dead skunk the day after it is hit by a mac truck! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My verdict on this movie: MEH. Its good for a single watch.

One of my favorite scenes is the guy who cuts his own head off with a chainsaw in the security cam video. If only I had that kind of power ... :icon_lol:

That was raw. I just watched the second half. MEH. They gave us too much about the origins of Andromeda and ruined the entire premise. There were several nods to the original movie, like the powdered blood coming out of the slit wrist of one of the victims in Piedmont, the old man and the baby, and the scene about the guy who had an epileptic attack from the flashing lights. They also had the episode where the decontamination nuke was going to go off and they had to climb up the central shaft. But no laser in the shaft? The "tension" that was supposed to be in there just wasnt. The part with Andromeda and the wormhole and the "message" in the structure of the Bucky balls was LAME. This is one of those films that is only somewhat entertaining ONCE. I wont be watching it again.