And so it goes....

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Hello everyone. I have my "new" kitchen done. It looks amazing but you know - now the breakfast nook looks a bit dated - so we're looking at a new table & chairs, hutch, and maybe some new curtains this weekend. Mr Rac remarked also that the family room (my house has a very open floor plan) might need some refreshing.....and so it goes. how much you want to bet the entire first floor will be redone before we're through? Am I the only one who has noticed that as you redo one room the rest seem to begging for it? ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hello everyone. I have my "new" kitchen done. It looks amazing but you know - now the breakfast nook looks a bit dated - so we're looking at a new table & chairs, hutch, and maybe some new curtains this weekend. Mr Rac remarked also that the family room (my house has a very open floor plan) might need some refreshing.....and so it goes. how much you want to bet the entire first floor will be redone before we're through? Am I the only one who has noticed that as you redo one room the rest seem to begging for it? ;)

I have seen this play out before with my married friends! The first floor when finished is going to make you do the upper floors, and finally you will want to paint the house and redo your garden! :anim_59:

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Well - we have new curtains ordered for the breakfast nook, and new chairs for the table. Also getting new curtain rods (so they look like the ones in the family room) and the painters will be in next week. Next decision - the formal dining room - to repaint or not to repaint.....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I am betting on a addition in the works

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
well no addition - just painting now working it's way upstairs! :P

sorry i've not been around - indy didn't really have a summer but we have had a huge spike in crime since june - the hispanic gangs are trying to move in on the local gang's turf so loads of shootings (all illegal guns of course! ;) ) and lots of gang initiations going on - the current kick is to rob a pharmacy- currently three teens (all hispanic) dead because they didn't realize that pharmacies around here have armed staff! :P (the local gangs are waiting until the pharmacies close then break in by driving a stolen car through them)

hey is anyone watching the new Supergirl? snookie loves it. I am still addicted to Once Upon a time (the dark swan - great plot! :D )
Hope everyone is doing well! :D

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well no addition - just painting now working it's way upstairs! :P

sorry i've not been around - indy didn't really have a summer but we have had a huge spike in crime since june - the hispanic gangs are trying to move in on the local gang's turf so loads of shootings (all illegal guns of course! ;) ) and lots of gang initiations going on - the current kick is to rob a pharmacy- currently three teens (all hispanic) dead because they didn't realize that pharmacies around here have armed staff! :P (the local gangs are waiting until the pharmacies close then break in by driving a stolen car through them)

hey is anyone watching the new Supergirl? snookie loves it. I am still addicted to Once Upon a time (the dark swan - great plot! :D )
Hope everyone is doing well! :D

What is wrong with you?!

You should get the hell away from any city that is so policed and governed-it is a matter of time before that crime touches you in some way.

now I know not all cities are this way, but I have seen others go this way in other places in the East--first migrants who do want to work and do well without criminal behaviour (other then being here illegally) come to town, then stores and small grocers, wire transfer and phone card places set up shop, then the gangs come in to intimidate these new business' and te ppl who utilize them.

the local police are swamped and overwhelmed, usually BEFORE they even knew there was an issue they are overburdened.

they then retreat to police the areas they now they can handle and leave the rest for emergencies only

this has happened all over major cities in the south and mid Atlantic states. also in eastern PA in places like Allentown, Bethlehem, Stroudsburg and the Poconos.

If I were you and the opportunity and conditions of your family support it, I would sell your property-while it still has value-and buy an old farmhouse with a little land way way out of town.

People thought I was kidding back in 2004 when I told everyone why I was bringing my family back here to my small hometown after I retired. I would say "because cities are not safe and are going to get worse..I don't want my family around one when things get really bad"

Everyone pointed to the fact of better job opportunities and being near a military base (working on one, the use of medical, PX/commissary other benefits usage) but only a few saw the good in being far away from any city though remaining just close enough (a 3 hr drive) from one if we ever needed to go to one.

call me crazy but you can't call me or my family 'unsafe'-though that is relative

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What is wrong with you?!

You should get the hell away from any city that is so policed and governed-it is a matter of time before that crime touches you in some way.

now I know not all cities are this way, but I have seen others go this way in other places in the East--first migrants who do want to work and do well without criminal behaviour (other then being here illegally) come to town, then stores and small grocers, wire transfer and phone card places set up shop, then the gangs come in to intimidate these new business' and te ppl who utilize them.

the local police are swamped and overwhelmed, usually BEFORE they even knew there was an issue they are overburdened.

they then retreat to police the areas they now they can handle and leave the rest for emergencies only

this has happened all over major cities in the south and mid Atlantic states. also in eastern PA in places like Allentown, Bethlehem, Stroudsburg and the Poconos.

If I were you and the opportunity and conditions of your family support it, I would sell your property-while it still has value-and buy an old farmhouse with a little land way way out of town.

People thought I was kidding back in 2004 when I told everyone why I was bringing my family back here to my small hometown after I retired. I would say "because cities are not safe and are going to get worse..I don't want my family around one when things get really bad"

Everyone pointed to the fact of better job opportunities and being near a military base (working on one, the use of medical, PX/commissary other benefits usage) but only a few saw the good in being far away from any city though remaining just close enough (a 3 hr drive) from one if we ever needed to go to one.

call me crazy but you can't call me or my family 'unsafe'-though that is relative

Come out WEST. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What is wrong with you?!

I hate to break it to you folks but the zombies are gonna find you no matter where you live. :moody:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

sorry, but except for the northern cali counties, all i see that there is of the place is what i have longed to avoid; wall to wall "suck" and sprawl and desert

besides, with prop values so low here, we'd get enough to rent a 1 room apt out there

and-we like having water:biggrin:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Did the west thing in the early 80's-- no thanks. you could not pay me enough to move to california! I prefer the midwest right now - loads of space (even in the "cities") and a decent cost of living. things here aren't too bad-- I have my CCW and i am good! i avoid "No-gun" zones like the plague! :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Did the west thing in the early 80's-- no thanks. you could not pay me enough to move to california! I prefer the midwest right now - loads of space (even in the "cities") and a decent cost of living. things here aren't too bad-- I have my CCW and i am good! i avoid "No-gun" zones like the plague! :D

cities suck :moody:

i had to go to Pittsburgh today--even the outskirts of the place reaffirmed my belief in that position

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
cities suck :moody:

i had to go to Pittsburgh today--even the outskirts of the place reaffirmed my belief in that position

So, do you consider yourself a prepper of sorts? How can you not like the city? I do not like the urban areas of cities, but suburbs are awesome. I have visited people living in what I call the "boonies". They have to plan their trips "to town" so that things are consolidated into a single trip. Stuff like trips to Costco or Walmart which take more than 30 minutes. And there are septic tanks in the yards, and lots of solar. But then at night there are sparse lights, usually no streetlamps or signal lights (cause you don't need them), and things I take for granted like a local In N Out or 7-11 are not available. I like it, but I still prefer the suburbs!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm getting really tired of the traffic. It sucks. Just got my car insurance renewal today and actually had the notion of someday reaching a place where I wouldn't need a car anymore. Someday. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
We now have a new back patio and a new washer...wondering what I will redo next. with snookie out, I get bored. :P I agree with OM1- I DESPISE small towns. Grew up in one and it was horrible. :P Lived next door to the biggest drug dealers in the county. they would bring the stuff overland from canada. :P We live in a nice suburb, but since I work for Indy's juvenile justice dept I see a lot of the seamier side of Indy. We own "enough" land but not so much we could have farm animals. :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, do you consider yourself a prepper of sorts? How can you not like the city? I do not like the urban areas of cities, but suburbs are awesome. I have visited people living in what I call the "boonies". They have to plan their trips "to town" so that things are consolidated into a single trip. Stuff like trips to Costco or Walmart which take more than 30 minutes. And there are septic tanks in the yards, and lots of solar. But then at night there are sparse lights, usually no streetlamps or signal lights (cause you don't need them), and things I take for granted like a local In N Out or 7-11 are not available. I like it, but I still prefer the suburbs!

how did i miss this?....

well, lets see:

grew up in one of the suburbs of suburbs-- NE NJ and ll of its "rat races" into and out of THE City (NYC)

Lived in West Orange

Now, if W orange were in a place where i am now-it would not be so bad

but up there, the"boundaries" between neighboring towns and cities is realistically non existent' this house is on west orange and the house feet away from it is in Newark-or Montclair, or E Orange, etc

the "green areas" the parks and forested areas that remain, serve as trash dumps and drug hangouts-in short, the places were sent aside for kids and families, but they could barely be used by them

the houses are set so close together that there were many times when we sat at our table to eat and we looked out of our dining room table directly into the house next to house--again feet away--to see what they were having

deep and narrow lots; my parents had a deep enough lot to put in one of the old fashioned above ground pools (the ones ppl used to get before the cheapies WM has now?) and a small garden in between the house and the pool

and that was it! no room for anything else

then whenever we were in the pool, we got to hear the schizo lady in the house directly behind ours; constantly yelling and talking with no one

the only 'blessing' to give us a bit of space is that directly across from us was one of the largest cemeteries in North Jersey

the ppl? tribal-broken down into the Italian and Irish neighborhoods, the polish one, the jewish one with blacks and Ecuadorians (i still do not know why so many ecuadorians had came to west orange) all mixed in between

even as kids-belong to the wrong "tribe" (it didn't really matter what you were but who you hung out with/where you lived) and be in the wrong area? get rocks and bottles thrown at you, bike stolen, tires slashed.etc.etc

the best memories i have of the place are my parent's pet shop, some of my friends, riding bikes down to Nutley to famous Amos' cookie shop and-when we would leave every summer to come to where i live now-my parents hometown

and then living in tight spaces like in korea, or el paso while in the army, just made me firm up my belief that cities or suburbs were not for me

we have so much space here where we are, we don't have "nosy neighbors" but if we needed their help they'd be here

we can plant the flowers/shrubs in our yard without worrying about violating some neighborhood compact or what ever the f they are called

given the way it was where i grew up, i would never go back to a city or any suburb to live

this is where i grew up-look at the density of the houses-its on watchung ave, our house in the one just to the left (south) of the one with the pool and driveway---look at those sardines!:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...3a15ba40269dd0!8m2!3d40.7985699!4d-74.2390828