American non(science)sense

Coming from a country of which three quarters of the surface area is already below sea level, I can tell you that there are definitely a lot of people who have legitimate reason to be wary of rising sea levels and subsequently of climate change.

How is it that your ancestors didn't know that sea levels change? This has been going on for thousands of years before modern industrialization. Hell, every ancient coastal civilization lost ports to changing sea levels; both by the sea extending further inland or receding away from land. For instance, there are ancient ruins of sea ports that have been discovered all over the Mediterranean, some underwater and some inland. It's been common knowledge for literally thousands of years that sea levels rise and fall all over the planet.

By the time the Netherlands began to coalesce into one unit the regional planners had to know of the yin and yang of the sea. There's no way they couldn't know it. Did they seriously suffer from such hubris that they thought reality would treat them differently this time around? Do they now believe that by blaming changing sea levels on mankind that that absolves them of responsibility for ignoring reality to begin with? It doesn't.

The bottom line is that if you decide to build a civilization below sea level in a coastal region then you have to accept the consequences for that decision in the long run. And trying to claim that changing sea levels are a man-made consequence when the truth is that it's been going on for millenia is pointless and stupid.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How is it that your ancestors didn't know that sea levels change? This has been going on for thousands of years before modern industrialization. Hell, every ancient coastal civilization lost ports to changing sea levels; both by the sea extending further inland or receding away from land. For instance, there are ancient ruins of sea ports that have been discovered all over the Mediterranean, some underwater and some inland. It's been common knowledge for literally thousands of years that sea levels rise and fall all over the planet.

By the time the Netherlands began to coalesce into one unit the regional planners had to know of the yin and yang of the sea. There's no way they couldn't know it. Did they seriously suffer from such hubris that they thought reality would treat them differently this time around? Do they now believe that by blaming changing sea levels on mankind that that absolves them of responsibility for ignoring reality to begin with? It doesn't.

The bottom line is that if you decide to build a civilization below sea level in a coastal region then you have to accept the consequences for that decision in the long run. And trying to claim that changing sea levels are a man-made consequence when the truth is that it's been going on for millenia is pointless and stupid.

many were frisians

they "missed the boat" when their saxon buddies invaded Britain

had to settle for the place instead I guess

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

All of this. :) See, in those times there was no way to profit on long cons. Sure, I am sure some con man was able to sell the Odin's Wrath spiel on somebody, but since there was no money and no offshore accounts paying interest and no incentive to fool people, nature just took it's course. Villages moved inland where the seas rose, and moved out on to new land exposed by receding waters.

All of this. :) See, in those times there was no way to profit on long cons. Sure, I am sure some con man was able to sell the Odin's Wrath spiel on somebody, but since there was no money and no offshore accounts paying interest and no incentive to fool people, nature just took it's course. Villages moved inland where the seas rose, and moved out on to new land exposed by receding waters.

Exactly. There's no excuse for not knowing that nature drastically affects the environment independent of mans actions. We've known this for thousands of years. For any modern nation to think that they're somehow exempt from the laws of nature simply because they can now build sea walls and dykes is ridiculous.

Just look at the Fukishima disaster in Japan. When those idiots designed that power plant they moved it close to the water even going so far as to shave down the bluffs and dig a basement substructure, where they placed the generators, below sea level. The fact that Japan is a volcanic geological structure that has a history of earthquakes and tsunamis didn't seem to matter to the people who designed that nuclear power plant. They willfully ignored history and basic physics. The disaster that happened didn't occur due to man-made climate change but because of man-made stupidity in designing that plant to begin with.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
more nonsense professed as science

There should be laws against this shit. :) But the gullible abound, and they will believe anything. There are still fortune tellers! Many of them make 6 figures a year, and also "forensic psychics" LMAO!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This woman is disgustingly classless. While watching, note her fingernails, her dollar store makeup and try and see if you can get a glimpse of whatever creature has taken up residence in that hair of hers. And her voice. Ugh! I bet her husband left her for another man.

This woman is disgustingly classless. While watching, note her fingernails, her dollar store makeup and try and see if you can get a glimpse of whatever creature has taken up residence in that hair of hers. And her voice. Ugh! I bet her husband left her for another man.

I was gonna ask what kind of guy would find that "thing" attractive? She's like a really annoying, humorless cartoon character. Her voice grates like fingernails on a chalkboard. I would seriously get up and walk away if I ever encountered someone like that in real life. And I would quit a job in a heartbeat if I had creature like that as a boss.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
I was gonna ask what kind of guy would find that "thing" attractive? She's like a really annoying, humorless cartoon character. Her voice grates like fingernails on a chalkboard. I would seriously get up and walk away if I ever encountered someone like that in real life. And I would quit a job in a heartbeat if I had creature like that as a boss.

I can't get past that hair.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There should be laws against this shit. :) But the gullible abound, and they will believe anything. There are still fortune tellers! Many of them make 6 figures a year, and also "forensic psychics" LMAO!

i want to see this guy and the guy who founded the christian creationist museum have an argument over dino's

"didn't exist" vs "did exist and god let humans make them their pets"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i want to see this guy and the guy who founded the christian creationist museum have an argument over dino's

"didn't exist" vs "did exist and god let humans make them their pets"

It's on YouTube. And the guy debating him is none other than Bill Nye. :) You are referring to Ken Hamm

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's on YouTube. And the guy debating him is none other than Bill Nye. :) You are referring to Ken Hamm

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

yeah saw Nye and Hamm

not what I am referring too

I mean the guy who made this vid of 'dino's were not real' vs Ken Hamm

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's a hyper version of the already absurd "Let me speak to your manager!" haircut. :icon_lol:

final-boss_c_7234609.jpg

Oh dear, that bottom one! But the middle one is so "divorcee with grown kids and got a job through a friend". Secretary, has thrown at least one Tupperware party, buys lottery tickets. And of course, she sends food back at restaurants, gives unsolicited advice to shoppers in stores, and wants to speak to Corporate.