American non(science)sense

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
another tenet of the flat earther

the Challenger crew is still alive

what does this have to do with flat earth? nothing really other then to say 'told you "they" are lying"

and,according to them, we cannot go to space because space does not exist.

indeed, what we think is space is water (!!!! :) ) and that we cannot break through the dome that covers the flat earth and blocks out the water

so, they knew the challenger would blow up when it hit the dome so they didn't pt astronauts on it

what about all the other missions? didn't happen

i guess they presume that the lift offs did happen, but then once high enough, the shuttle (they believe they are not gliders but powered jet aircraft) would turn and and somewhere where the crew would then partake in elaborate deceptions on hollywood soundstages

but yeah--they are still alive-and no, according to these clowns, no one has a twin (i guess) and there is no such thing as ppl who look alike

it IS a sickness I believe, one that goes beyond just 'normal' christianity

and just what the HELL does flat vs round have to do with the argument of god/no god?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Some people are just so fucking dumb. If an intelligent extraterrestrial lifeform ever visited earth and studied humanity based on such people, they would exterminate all of us for the sake of the universe.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Some people are just so fucking dumb. If an intelligent extraterrestrial lifeform ever visited earth and studied humanity based on such people, they would exterminate all of us for the sake of the universe.
we are on their comedy channel 24/7

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
we are on their comedy channel 24/7

just curious-of course i could look it up but where is the fun in that?!

where does the LDS stand on these radical christian viewpoints (flat earth under a dome, young earth, etc)?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

where does the LDS stand on these radical christian viewpoints (flat earth under a dome, young earth, etc)?

I am going to answer this on Rac's behalf...you can't ask her to explain the LDS faith without bothering to read the Book of Mormon. I am hoping she will tell you the same thing, because snippets of a belief system taken out of context results in a patchy understanding of the whole. Just sayin! Read the book.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am going to answer this on Rac's behalf...you can't ask her to explain the LDS faith without bothering to read the Book of Mormon. I am hoping she will tell you the same thing, because snippets of a belief system taken out of context results in a patchy understanding of the whole. Just sayin! Read the book.

let me clarify...

i am asking what (if any) opinion the Mormon church has on those other christians who are in general, science deniers, but specifically on those who preach flat earth/under the dome and young earth.

i don't want to know what the Mormons think based on their Book of MORMON but what they think of these other ppl's views

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I do not think that the Jews in the New Testament believed in a flat earth because the Jews were in contact with the Babylonians (since c. 560 BCE) and their science.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I do not think that the Jews in the New Testament believed in a flat earth because the Jews were in contact with the Babylonians (since c. 560 BCE) and their science.

sounds right, not to mention Jews prior to that time having knowledge to some extent of Egyptian science

I forgot what dynasty it was, but a Pharaoh commissioned a Phoenician fleet to circumnavigate Africa. they left via the Med Sea and came back via the Red. while this didn't prove a round earth, they surely took note of the curvatures as well as the 'upside down' stars in the southern hemisphere

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Since Mr RAC has a PhD in organic chemistry....we believe in provable science! The LDS Church really doesn't speak out on science---I know LDS who believe in global warming and probably
more who are skeptics (we move in science circles you could say) have yet to meet one who is a
flat-earther.

We use modern medicine (one of our important church leaders was a renowned cardiologist in the 70's.) as well. In fact the backgrounds of our top 15 leaders are varied from lawyers, judges, journalists, teachers, scientists, and even an airline pilot!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Since Mr RAC has a PhD in organic chemistry....we believe in provable science! The LDS Church really doesn't speak out on science---I know LDS who believe in global warming and probably
more who are skeptics (we move in science circles you could say) have yet to meet one who is a
flat-earther.

We use modern medicine (one of our important church leaders was a renowned cardiologist in the 70's.) as well. In fact the backgrounds of our top 15 leaders are varied from lawyers, judges, journalists, teachers, scientists, and even an airline pilot!

So,I was doing some unscientific research (aka- the internet) and found out that what you are saying is much in tune with what I found

first on a seemingly slightly progressive LDS forum on religion and all social topics, I found a forum on the flat earth/young earth topic

every one on there who was a self ID lds was basically laughing at both ideas

on another site, I found that there seems to be a fairly high correlation (when they can get ppl to id by religious group and workplace) of aerospace engineers and LDS members

yet another site on the flat earth/young earth stuff, I saw mostly the same-its nonsense and a strange misunderstanding of the message of the bible

one person wrote (to the effect of) "How could God only have done what he has in only 6,000yrs? Our planet and nature is so complex, not even god can work that fast"

all interesting stuff though

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
So,I was doing some unscientific research (aka- the internet) and found out that what you are saying is much in tune with what I found

first on a seemingly slightly progressive LDS forum on religion and all social topics, I found a forum on the flat earth/young earth topic

on another site, I found that there seems to be a fairly high correlation (when they can get ppl to id by religious group and workplace) of aerospace engineers and LDS members

yet another site on the flat earth/young earth stuff, I saw mostly the same-its nonsense and a strange misunderstanding of the message of the bible

one person wrote (to the effect of) "How could God only have done what he has in only 6,000yrs? Our planet and nature is so complex, not even god can work that fast"

A funny ...when Mr RAC was at grad school at Purdue University, MOST of the other LDS students were working on a grad degree in engineering...the dean of the dept. was LDS too! There were a handful of chemists and 4 agro scientists. When someone new would move into the area the joke was "an engineer right?"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i have been trying to "ween" myself off of the flat earther vids, though when a new one pops up I just can't seem to resist stupid :vala-newanime016:

so, this british guy-who is apparently a big deal in this community and one of the guys who is quite good as presenting himself as 'thoughtful' is seen in a another clip of a much longer tv interview

in it he is arguing yet one more point on why the earth cannot be a globe

this reason?

he said (to the effect of) "globist tell us that the earth is rotating on an axis at thousands of miles per hour, well if this were true, then why is there still water in the oceans? because of we are to believe them, then use the example of a wet tennis ball (he then shows a spiffy visualization of a wet tennis ball). when it is spun, then the water in it spins of into the air at it's equator. so you see, what they say just cannot be true because the water is still in the ocean"

and no one can argue with his thinking by like saying something like 'gravity keeps it in its place' because to flat earthers, gravity is not an option, they say it does not exist because it is "just something we have been told-have you ever witnessed gravity?" as if it were something you can see

you can see him in this video at about 14:14 (the video is pretty funny overall)

heisenberg

Earl Grey

So it turns out, the Oil companies knew that pumping CO2 in the air will affect the climate almost 40 years ago. The fact that we are in a closed loop system should tell you that you have that shit in you in microscopic amount. Majority of the world does not recycle anymore because china has stopped buying it so instead they are putting it in landfill. Unless someone can find a profitable way to turn that into something great, out plastic problem is going to get worse.

How can people still continue to believe that climate change is fraud? We are the cause and we will become extinct.

Exxon was aware of climate change, as early as 1977, 11 years before it became a public issue, according to a recent investigation from InsideClimate News. This knowledge did not prevent the company (now ExxonMobil and the world’s largest oil and gas company) from spending decades refusing to publicly acknowledge climate change and even promoting climate misinformation—an approach many have likened to the lies spread by the tobacco industry regarding the health risks of smoking. Both industries were conscious that their products wouldn’t stay profitable once the world understood the risks, so much so that they used the same consultants to develop strategies on how to communicate with the public.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So it turns out, the Oil companies knew that pumping CO2 in the air will affect the climate almost 40 years ago. The fact that we are in a closed loop system should tell you that you have that shit in you in microscopic amount. Majority of the world does not recycle anymore because china has stopped buying it so instead they are putting it in landfill. Unless someone can find a profitable way to turn that into something great, out plastic problem is going to get worse.

How can people still continue to believe that climate change is fraud? We are the cause and we will become extinct.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/

ok

but what does that have to do with the Flat EARTH MOVEMENT?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Sweetie when I was about 10 (1972 ish) they were already discussing the coming nuclear winter. In fact one of today's biggest global warming advocates was trying to get everyone in a panic about global cooling - and guess what???!!!? Pollution and evil man caused it!

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html

it's the same old song... just a different words...now it's global warming! in the 70's we were told that the world was dangerously overpopulated and even the USA would experience mass starvation by the late 90's, Canada would be covered with ice, fresh water would be impossible to find unless it were frozen, most of the USA would have the climate of Siberia. The southern hemisphere would be wealthy and be the world leaders, the list goes on...…

oh the halcyon days of youth! ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Sorry I may have replied to the wrong thing :P

NO SWEAT!!!

But since I am here......

It is ironic you mention the climate change deal in response to the flat earth thing

when I was watching that flat earther nonsense THEY WOULD include their objections/fears about climate issues.

But for all the illogical reasons!

of course they nearly all say that the MMCC issue/push is nothing more then a conspiracy carried out tangential to the round earth "hoax" being perpetrated,apparently to them, by world govt's

also things like near earth orbit/satellites, moon landing--all of these issue go hand-in-glove with the 'round earth' world conspiracy

---------------------------------
as for myself, while i beleive the climate IS changing and that of course man's activities-as man is apart of nature- is OF COURSE having an effect on things

BUT, the level of blame assigned to human activities is being hyper inflated to help puch an agenda on us that will ultimately lead to the enrichment of big corporations doing things like selling 'carbon credits' and cheaply made solar energy products, "MMCC guilt taxes", etc,etc,etc

of course there are other facets to it as well:

the MMCC fear fueling the drive to get funding to do things like resurrecting woolly mammoths and other extinct herbivores to 'restore' artic,sub artic, 'siberian' tundra by having them eat trees and other non native to the tundra, vegetation

when, in reality, a closer look at some of the russian and chinese companies behind this research would stand to gain huge profit by using these potentially resurrecting animals for profit by selling their wool (clothing, insulation, other material made from their wool) and ivory

and then issues like world reach lumber companies profiting from the 'need' to strip by clear cut all the trees from huge areas of places like scotland and other areas where trees didn't once grow to allow peat bogs to be restored

-----------------------------
if we need to 'save the planet (which WE cannot do and is a massively obnoxious an idea that we could)', then why are govt's and corporations not putting more-or all, of their MMCC reversal funding into things like using power grids better, making more efficient solar panels for home owners, hell, why not build huge solar panel arrays (like the ones in china but bigger-MUCH more) in places that are now receiving/absorbing too much solar energy like the artic or antartica?

those would keep the ice pack from absorbing the energy and causing melt while generating power

INSTEAD OF doing better things with efficiency ,they are doing what should be fringe ideas which cause little if any "fix" or "planetary salvation" quite inefficiently and too costly

-----------
this guy, once a leading and highly respected scientist, is now demonized by the MMCC community EVEN THOUGH he believes in MMCC completely

they hate him because he challenges current and proposed 'fixes' that the 'consensus' supports