AMC's The Walking Dead to get a companion series in 2015.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow, this is interesting but not unpredictable. AMC has greenlighted the companion series to The Walking Dead, which is supposed to be some sort of prequel and not a spinoff. I got this from Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/walking-dead-companion-series-official-20140328

Excerpt:

Months after AMC announced its intention to create a companion show to The Walking Dead, the network has confirmed that the series is officially happening, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The network brought on writer-producer Dave Erickson (Sons of Anarchy, Low Winter Sun) as showrunner, executive producer and co-writer, according to Uproxx. He joins a team for the show that includes Dead creator Robert Kirkman and producer Gale Anne Hurd.

The still-untitled series was previously rumored to be a prequel that would focus on the events that led up to the main series' apocalyptic storyline. But neither the network nor the producers have hinted at what the show will be about other than the fact that it won't technically be a "spinoff" since it won't feature characters from The Walking Dead TV series. Uproxx theorizes that the new series will be set in the same apocalypse timeline. Last year, creator Robert Kirkman confirmed that the show will feature an entirely new cast and location, but offered little else.

seriously.gif

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Wow, this is interesting but not unpredictable. AMC has greenlighted the companion series to The Walking Dead, which is supposed to be some sort of prequel and not a spinoff. I got this from Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/walking-dead-companion-series-official-20140328

Excerpt:

Months after AMC announced its intention to create a companion show to The Walking Dead, the network has confirmed that the series is officially happening, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The network brought on writer-producer Dave Erickson (Sons of Anarchy, Low Winter Sun) as showrunner, executive producer and co-writer, according to Uproxx. He joins a team for the show that includes Dead creator Robert Kirkman and producer Gale Anne Hurd.

The still-untitled series was previously rumored to be a prequel that would focus on the events that led up to the main series' apocalyptic storyline. But neither the network nor the producers have hinted at what the show will be about other than the fact that it won't technically be a "spinoff" since it won't feature characters from The Walking Dead TV series. Uproxx theorizes that the new series will be set in the same apocalypse timeline. Last year, creator Robert Kirkman confirmed that the show will feature an entirely new cast and location, but offered little else.

View attachment 30314

If we're getting the same show with different actors running concurrently to the original show, what's the point?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
So they're going the CBS route with having multiple iterations of a show on in hopes of having multiple hits on at the same time.

Meh.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So they're going the CBS route with having multiple iterations of a show on in hopes of having multiple hits on at the same time.

Meh.

Both Star Trek and Stargate have done that successfully. I agree with you on this...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually this one will follow the adventures of a group of twenty something totally vapid fashion models (male and female) who were doing a swimsuit shoot on an island when the zombie plague occurred. We'll get to see their reactions to the devastation and see them deal with the walkers. The best part will be they will make the cast of the current show look like geniuses by comparison.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If we're getting the same show with different actors running concurrently to the original show, what's the point?

You're Canada's answer to Donald Trump (except you're younger, handsomer and you actually have a brain). Surely you know the point. ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Actually this one will follow the adventures of a group of twenty something totally vapid fashion models (male and female) who were doing a swimsuit shoot on an island when the zombie plague occurred. We'll get to see their reactions to the devastation and see them deal with the walkers. The best part will be they will make the cast of the current show look like geniuses by comparison.
Zombiewatch?

Have they cast Hasselhoff yet for the cranky grandfather-figure?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They could do that - or make it a zed version of 90210.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Couple things:

I was going to say that I hope they don't film this one in Georgia but then I realized the show will suck regardless of shooting locale so it's a moot point.

Also, the fact that this new show supposedly begins in the world pre-zombie infestation that means they will have even more opportunity for melodramatic interpersonal soap moments because all they will have is human-human interaction. Aren't we lucky? :rolleye0014:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Couple things:

I was going to say that I hope they don't film this one in Georgia but then I realized the show will suck regardless of shooting locale so it's a moot point.

Also, the fact that this new show supposedly begins in the world pre-zombie infestation that means they will have even more opportunity for melodramatic interpersonal soap moments because all they will have is human-human interaction. Aren't we lucky? :rolleye0014:

It's been neither confirmed nor denied to be a prequel.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're Canada's answer to Donald Trump (except you're younger, handsomer and you actually have a brain). Surely you know the point. ;)

:anim_59:

They could have teen zombies too, and have them semi-intelligent so they can hatch nefarious plots and stuff. Although they run the risk of making the zombies seem smarter than the cast of the original show if they do that :(. Even if they create this "companion show", we still have to resolve The Walking Dead. Seems to me that the global population of reanimated zombies must be shrinking dramatically.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually by now there should be almost none. Corpses do decay after all.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's been neither confirmed nor denied to be a prequel.

It has been confirmed (by their own hand) that the writers will give us a melodrama suckfest regardless of setting. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Even if they create this "companion show", we still have to resolve The Walking Dead. Seems to me that the global population of reanimated zombies must be shrinking dramatically.
Actually by now there should be almost none. Corpses do decay after all.

More reason to create a prequel or a concurrent timeline show from the beginning. They can't ignore the decay factor forever. As it is they're something like 2 years into the zombie infestation in TWD and there simply is no way that human bodies could continue to function at this point, let alone sooner. Biology simply doesn't allow it.

And this isn't a minor point. It's not something that falls under the aegis of "suspension of disbelief" because the reality of it can't be denied. A "reanimated corpse" could only function, at best, for several weeks before breaking down. That is reality. Otherwise it falls under the heading of magic and last I checked this show wasn't about magic. It's about bad writing and bad acting, but not about magic.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
:anim_59:

They could have teen zombies too, and have them semi-intelligent so they can hatch nefarious plots and stuff. Although they run the risk of making the zombies seem smarter than the cast of the original show if they do that :(. Even if they create this "companion show", we still have to resolve The Walking Dead. Seems to me that the global population of reanimated zombies must be shrinking dramatically.
Zombies with angst? I think that's this coming season's offering "iZombie", which is about a zombie coroner who must eat peoples' brains in order to solve crimes.

I really wish I was kidding with that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Zombies with angst? I think that's this coming season's offering "iZombie", which is about a zombie coroner who must eat peoples' brains in order to solve crimes.

I really wish I was kidding with that.

You are really NOT kidding? Seriously? It makes you wonder what the writers ate in order to come up with ideas like that. :facepalm:. Must be something most of the rest of us flush.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You are really NOT kidding? Seriously? It makes you wonder what the writers ate in order to come up with ideas like that. :facepalm:. Must be something most of the rest of us flush.
A zombie-driven procedural. Just what the world did NOT need.

I am given to understand that it's based on a comic book.

Of COURSE it is!

Idiots.

And keep in mind that someone who writes vampire fiction feels this way about it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Look, if you want a Zombie procedural: