• Never

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • uh what's amazon?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
All it takes is the right key, baby. ;)

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you're describing as a "deadbolt". How do you people lock your doors from the outside if not with a keyed deadbolt?

They are mainly intended as extra locks for when you're inside and sleeping. Some of them have a double function of enabling a door or window to be placed at a tiny crack open while still being "locked". That last part is of course not to prevent burglars from entering but more to make sure the wind doesn't bash the thing around.

They are mainly intended as extra locks for when you're inside and sleeping. Some of them have a double function of enabling a door or window to be placed at a tiny crack open while still being "locked". That last part is of course not to prevent burglars from entering but more to make sure the wind doesn't bash the thing around.

Let's ignore the fact that 93% of the adult Dutch population is unemployed and never leaves their homes because that would cut into their important masturbating time, how exactly does the other 7% lock their homes from the outside when they go to work in the morning to support the parasitical 93% that is leeching off them via their hard-earned tax dollars? :daniel_new004:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They use what we call a key.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
But what does that key go into if not a deadbolt lock? Do you use those lousy doorknob locks instead? That's what I'm trying to understand as you stated that you don't use deadbolts that lock from the outside over there.

Well whatever you wish to call it. Normal lock, deadbolt. What I understood as deadbolts would be secondary locks. There is always the main lock near the door handle. (but not in it)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well whatever you wish to call it. Normal lock, deadbolt. What I understood as deadbolts would be secondary locks. There is always the main lock near the door handle. (but not in it)

Ok, so I am getting the deadbolt lock for inside security. And it has the added safety of not being able to be locked by closing the door with it in the locked position (like you can with the doorknob/doorhandle lock). But most everyone in America has the doorknob lock, plus a deadbolt lock keyed from the outside and a knob on the inside. Some have keys on the inside and outside but those are dangerous in case of a fire.

Ok, so I am getting the deadbolt lock for inside security. And it has the added safety of not being able to be locked by closing the door with it in the locked position (like you can with the doorknob/doorhandle lock). But most everyone in America has the doorknob lock, plus a deadbolt lock keyed from the outside and a knob on the inside. Some have keys on the inside and outside but those are dangerous in case of a fire.

I think we can safely assume that this is a cultural difference, the case being that here in America we actually have stuff worth stealing hence the need for genuine door locks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think we can safely assume that this is a cultural difference, the case being that here in America we actually have stuff worth stealing hence the need for genuine door locks.

I have the door and deadbolt lock, plus another set on the metal screen door (it's wrought iron, not thin aluminum screen).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Well many times I have left my front door unlocked but over the last year or so that can no longer happen.
My next door neighbour works for the cop shop and she texts me when crap is going down in our neighbourhood . We have plenty of door deliveries in our area but there have been quite a few reports of stuff disappearing as of late . The thiefs are even jumping your fence and grabbing stuff from the backyards . I never locked my fence gate but I do now and keep my shed locked also . Makes me sad to see this happening after so many years of not even locking the front door to the house .
I believe it has a lot to do with the population growth in our city . Not enough jobs for everyone I figure so they get desperate ...

Well many times I have left my front door unlocked but over the last year or so that can no longer happen.
My next door neighbour works for the cop shop and she texts me when crap is going down in our neighbourhood . We have plenty of door deliveries in our area but there have been quite a few reports of stuff disappearing as of late . The thiefs are even jumping your fence and grabbing stuff from the backyards . I never locked my fence gate but I do now and keep my shed locked also . Makes me sad to see this happening after so many years of not even locking the front door to the house .
I believe it has a lot to do with the population growth in our city . Not enough jobs for everyone I figure so they get desperate ...

It's happening like that everywhere now. It doesn't matter if it's the suburbs or the city. All my friends are commenting on how bad it's gotten recently.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The latest thing Amazon is considering to prevent delivery thefts (packages stolen from your front steps) is to allow your house to be unlocked by their Amazon Key. Of course it means giving up more of your privacy to their Cloud Cam and a smart lock. Would you do this?
https://www.vogue.com/article/amazon-key-couriers-smart-lock-concern

I wouldn't because
1) it could be hacked
2) if you have given away access to your home , a smart lawyer could argue you have given up your "expectation of privacy" in your home; thus countering the 4th amendment (unreasonable search and seizure!)
Guess what...you would be right

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...how-dumber-tech-is-often-smarter-option.shtml

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The latest thing Amazon is considering to prevent delivery thefts (packages stolen from your front steps) is to allow your house to be unlocked by their Amazon Key. Of course it means giving up more of your privacy to their Cloud Cam and a smart lock. Would you do this?
https://www.vogue.com/article/amazon-key-couriers-smart-lock-concern

I wouldn't because
1) it could be hacked
2) if you have given away access to your home , a smart lawyer could argue you have given up your "expectation of privacy" in your home; thus countering the 4th amendment (unreasonable search and seizure!)

Not to mention the possibility of copies being made and given to thieves to exploit at a later date.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
OK, the key idea flopped so now the take a pic of the package at your front door. Then they notify you its been delivered.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/1/17068480/amazon-photo-on-delivery-new-feature-front-porch

Personally I like the Ring doorbell video camera idea better!

Believe it or not the USPS (United States Post Office) takes pictures of package deliveries already and has been doing so for awhile now. My buddy, who sells on Ebay, found this out when tracking a package that a buyer claimed they hadn't received. Not only did the tracking say it arrived to its destination but also the post office had a pic of it sitting at the buyer's door. The investigation was immediately closed and the sale was considered final in my buddy's favor. Amazingly the buyer suddenly "found" the package after it was pointed out that a pic was in evidence of it, go figure.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Believe it or not the USPS (United States Post Office) takes pictures of package deliveries already and has been doing so for awhile now. My buddy, who sells on Ebay, found this out when tracking a package that a buyer claimed they hadn't received. Not only did the tracking say it arrived to its destination but also the post office had a pic of it sitting at the buyer's door. The investigation was immediately closed and the sale was considered final in my buddy's favor. Amazingly the buyer suddenly "found" the package after it was pointed out that a pic was in evidence of it, go figure.

There are people out there who literally live on exchanges, loss claims, refunds and returns. Sad.