Amazon Go Store

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yes, Amazon is a good company, mostly due to diversification. To my mind the brick and mortar stores are a "loss leader" the cost of which they can absorb. And like I said the building of these stores will give the stock an uptick for awhile. I don't see the Amazon stores becoming mainstream as there is too much competition in every locale. But I do see the technology for automated sales they are developing and implementing as something that goes mainstream and will be copied by competitors (to some extent).

And yes, we stupidly allowed our money to be devalued so Wall street bankers could bloat the stock market as an alternative place for people to find "value". We are paying the price now but no one wants to admit it. (I could go on for days about this issue but don't have the energy to do so right now.)
What I want to know is why is white collar crimes that happen on amazon aren't enforced? Like they don't seem to curb Chinese bootleggers or people who sell items that clearly don't work and are just out there to rob people's money. Better yet, why aren't these people arrested and then sent behind bars?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yes, but what you are describing is mere automation. That's what robots do best, automation. A.I. is a whole different animal. Think more like your cat or perhaps a dog or even a small child. That will be the level of the first sentient A.I. Information is not context. Feeding the timeline of events for WWII and the movements of the military would not give it the context of the reasons for the war, therefore how would it understand the outcome? How could you make it understand why it was created in the first place?

Automation. It's both a good thing and a bad thing.
Whatever, they are both going to replace low end jobs since computers are better at doing stuff than we are. At least the number of workers will definitely reduce. Creative roles is about the only thing that will remain. I believe that we all have creative talent in all of us. We were designed to create. We all love creative things but the problem is that so called 'work' tends to leave that creativity dormant because doing analytical jobs does that to you. I got to a point where I got sick of doing boring analytical jobs. These jobs are monotonous, tedious, annoying and quite frankly time consuming and boring. They do not challenge the mind but become physically demanding which just kills your inner self. I agree that AI will definitely help the world for the better but we have the tendency to push that bar a bit and when technology falls into the wrong hands, you get bad results.

This was google Keynote from last year and it's quite awesome how much progress google is making

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Maybe AI could help us create a story we all have been after. Like they could make a custom made movie just for the individual. You place the parameters and the things you want and the AI could output a movie or a TV show or even music. The possibilities are limitless.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe AI could help us create a story we all have been after. Like they could make a custom made movie just for the individual. You place the parameters and the things you want and the AI could output a movie or a TV show or even music. The possibilities are limitless.

That sounds very interesting....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My ideas are always spontaneous. They just come out nowhere.

You notice, none of my posts are against the development or use of AI. I stop short of even remotely considering any scenario where AI will be given power to govern or otherwise control human beings. It will never be allowed. And I think the biggest ally for Humankind against a potential evil A.I. would be the military. I cannot think of any logic system which exists which could justify even the existence of a military. An A.I. would not understand why Humankind is divided or why humans have wars against themselves. It would not understand money either. There would be many aspects of human society in the West that the A.I. would consider serious flaws and imbalances and recommend a course of action which removes the threats (mainly the rich, the military, money, stockpiling of food or dumping of food when humans elsewhere are going hungry, national borders, the concept of a nation-state). These things are part of an immature global social structure. The first enemy of a true A.I. would probably be the company which created it.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You notice, none of my posts are against the development or use of AI. I stop short of even remotely considering any scenario where AI will be given power to govern or otherwise control human beings. It will never be allowed. And I think the biggest ally for Humankind against a potential evil A.I. would be the military. I cannot think of any logic system which exists which could justify even the existence of a military.An A.I. would not understand why Humankind is divided or why humans have wars against themselves. It would not understand money either. There would be many aspects of human society in the West that the A.I. would consider serious flaws and imbalances and recommend a course of action which removes the threats (mainly the rich, the military, money, stockpiling of food or dumping of food when humans elsewhere are going hungry, national borders, the concept of a nation-state). These things are part of an immature global social structure. The first enemy of a true A.I. would probably be the company which created it.

What I want to know is why is white collar crimes that happen on amazon aren't enforced? Like they don't seem to curb Chinese bootleggers or people who sell items that clearly don't work and are just out there to rob people's money. Better yet, why aren't these people arrested and then sent behind bars?

Because Amazon knows the transactions via bootleggers and shysters puts money in their coffers. The same thing happens at Ebay and elsewhere. It's about the money, honey, pure and simple. -- And yes, that's cynical but it's nonetheless true. We are talking about millions of dollars in transactions. From a monetary perspective it behooves Amazon to pay lip service to policing vendors while at the same time turning a blind eye to their shenanigans.

The motivating factor behind all of this is maintaining and growing their value on the Nasdaq. They don't care at all about the small individual. They only care about the giant formless mass that is the shareholder collective.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Because Amazon knows the transactions via bootleggers and shysters puts money in their coffers. The same thing happens at Ebay and elsewhere. It's about the money, honey, pure and simple. -- And yes, that's cynical but it's nonetheless true. We are talking about millions of dollars in transactions. From a monetary perspective it behooves Amazon to pay lip service to policing vendors while at the same time turning a blind eye to their shenanigans.

The motivating factor behind all of this is maintaining and growing their value on the Nasdaq. They don't care at all about the small individual. They only care about the giant formless mass that is the shareholder collective.
Yup, and like I said, Amazon is VERY well organized.It's ran by people who know what they are doing. They have a strategy in place for total world domination one day at a time.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/amazon-whole-foods-pickup/
Amazon has wasted no time in making the most out of its acquisition of Whole Foods in 2017. From slashing grocery prices to offering grocery delivery services, it would appear that the organic food store has had a full Amazon makeover. And now, we may have clues as to what is next for Whole Foods. Per a job posting first spotted by Puget Sound Business Journal, it would appear that the online retail giant is looking to offer a pickup service for both Whole Foods and a “marquee” of other stores.

While a pickup service in and of itself isn’t particularly novel (both Walmart and Kroger offer the same option for its customers), the move would continue to make Whole Foods more accessible to shoppers who might otherwise opt to shop at less expensive and more convenient grocery stores. More importantly, it seems that Amazon’s pickup service might also allow customers to order goods from third-party retailers, and simply use Whole Foods as a pickup spot for a wide variety of items.

Pretty soon you'll become the property of Amazon, but hey we already are a property of corporation anyway.

Yup, and like I said, Amazon is VERY well organized.It's ran by people who know what they are doing. They have a strategy in place for total world domination one day at a time.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/amazon-whole-foods-pickup/

Pretty soon you'll become the property of Amazon, but hey we already are a property of corporation anyway.

Just curious Heisenberg but have you checked out Reddit for things like /simpleliving and /anticonsumption? It's interesting to read how people have either dropped out of the rat race and/or have "slimmed down" their consumption.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Just curious Heisenberg but have you checked out Reddit for things like /simpleliving and /anticonsumption? It's interesting to read how people have either dropped out of the rat race and/or have "slimmed down" their consumption.
I don't mind consumption as long as it's good. I keep consumption on needs and less on wants. If I want something, I'll consume it online, but then I see how the quality of what I am watching gets, and I get turned off by it. I have a curious mind but I think we are about to reach the dark ages and a storm is approaching. Right now what you are witnessing is a calm before the storm. I see a HUGE recession coming along very soon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Amazing technology! I like this a lot. It means that I do not have to wait in line behind a snarly cashier, or the woman with 20 bottles of cranberry juice (cause they were on sale, but she didn't read "Limit only 5 per customer"), or the dumbass lemming writing a personal check. This is where I can see technology providing a benefit.

Before you go there, do I care that cashiers will lose jobs if this system is brought online at non-Amazon supermarkets? No. I don't. I would rather have just the people who inspect and stock the items I go in there to buy to make sure they are fresh and undamaged. Give them raises. Same with the people who manage the warehouse. Cashiers are obsolete IMO. I already bank with CapitalOne360 which has no branches.