Amazon Go Store

heisenberg

Earl Grey

My God this guy is annoying. His whiny, unfunny persona is enough to drive Gandhi to savagely beat him like a pinata, and deservedly so. And the embedded ads in the video are just as annoying. This is a horrible person with a horrible format. With luck he will spend the rest of his life in prison (simply for being himself) or, at the very least, be put on a container ship to the Mideast and sold into white slavery thereby proving himself to be useful to some small degree.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My God this guy is annoying. His whiny, unfunny persona is enough to drive Gandhi to savagely beat him like a pinata, and deservedly so. And the embedded ads in the video are just as annoying. This is a horrible person with a horrible format. With luck he will spend the rest of his life in prison (simply for being himself) or, at the very least, be put on a container ship to the Mideast and sold into white slavery thereby proving himself to be useful to some small degree.

He was annoying. But the material was interesting! Something about the frequency of his voice was messing with my synapses and dopamine levels. It could have been serious and I might have lost control and done something bad to him.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I tend to ignore all that. I don't know but I like the content he provides. It's much better than the rest of the people on youtube who make everything into a conspiracy. Besides, being behind the camera is tough and requires real balls especially if you are doing it out in the public. The embedded ads pay for the content he provides, otherwise we wouldn't have any content at all given that a lot of people use adblock and youtube money isn't enough to keep the lights on. He has an entire group of dedicated staff working for him and he did this all on his own and did it from scratch; something we can only dream of doing. Give credit where its due. This is all suppose to be light-hearted fun and nothing too serious which is what you are taking it as. I only wish I was good as him.

I tend to ignore all that. I don't know but I like the content he provides. It's much better than the rest of the people on youtube who make everything into a conspiracy. Besides, being behind the camera is tough and requires real balls especially if you are doing it out in the public. The embedded ads pay for the content he provides, otherwise we wouldn't have any content at all given that a lot of people use adblock and youtube money isn't enough to keep the lights on. He has an entire group of dedicated staff working for him and he did this all on his own and did it from scratch; something we can only dream of doing. Give credit where its due. This is all suppose to be light-hearted fun and nothing too serious which is what you are taking it as. I only wish I was good as him.

Okay, to begin with I was interested in the content but this guy is such a turn-off I couldn't watch the whole thing. Seriously, he's an obnoxious asshole. I don't care how many people he has working for him or how hard he works, starting off the video talking about the horror of being a man who has to buy tampons is beyond lame. Absolutely no cashier in the world is gonna hassle a dude for buying tampons. They don't care. They just want to get you processed and out of their face. That's all they care about. It's was a stupid thing to start this "informative" video off with. In short, f*** him!

As for the ads, nice try buddy but I'm simply not going to play the game. If your Youtube revenue isn't enough to sustain you too bad. I'm in control of my viewing content, not you, so don't even try to scam me. If you give me a sensible video with the facts clearly laid out (i.e. no stupid jokes you can't pull off or embedded ads) then I will watch. But if you act like an over-caffeinated twat then I will bury my cyber boot in your puffy mangina then walk away. Nuff sed.

*As for Amazon Go, I think it's an interesting concept but I think it will take awhile to catch on. I don't know how it will compete with regular grocery stores that offer coupons and weekly specials. I can see it taking off in upscale urban centers in major cities but I'm not sure how well this will play with the lower middle-class hoi polloi. I'm not saying it will fail, in fact, I think a lot of futuristic changes will become a reality because of this new shopping paradigm. But I do think it will be awhile before the kinks are worked out and it becomes mainstream.

And hopefully no more annoying twits will be part of this new paradigm. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
By the way, I have done the Amazon Go Store thing. I did it in Westwood CA where there is hardly any parking, and the whole place is like a little Fedex store with automated kiosks which allow you to open lockers, and also a clerk who can get your packages. The only real advantage is same day delivery and next day. I have been having great luck getting next day at my home, so why bother?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
By the way, I have done the Amazon Go Store thing. I did it in Westwood CA where there is hardly any parking, and the whole place is like a little Fedex store with automated kiosks which allow you to open lockers, and also a clerk who can get your packages. The only real advantage is same day delivery and next day. I have been having great luck getting next day at my home, so why bother?
You are thinking very linear. This is exactly what people said when amazon first started their website. They jumped to conclusion without looking at the whole picture. This is going to be huge in 10 years time. They are starting small and trialling how it goes before going full scale. They know what they are doing and they have a lot of smart people behind the team who knows that they are doing.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Okay, to begin with I was interested in the content but this guy is such a turn-off I couldn't watch the whole thing. Seriously, he's an obnoxious asshole. I don't care how many people he has working for him or how hard he works, starting off the video talking about the horror of being a man who has to buy tampons is beyond lame. Absolutely no cashier in the world is gonna hassle a dude for buying tampons. They don't care. They just want to get you processed and out of their face. That's all they care about. It's was a stupid thing to start this "informative" video off with. In short, f*** him!

As for the ads, nice try buddy but I'm simply not going to play the game. If your Youtube revenue isn't enough to sustain you too bad. I'm in control of my viewing content, not you, so don't even try to scam me. If you give me a sensible video with the facts clearly laid out (i.e. no stupid jokes you can't pull off or embedded ads) then I will watch. But if you act like an over-caffeinated twat then I will bury my cyber boot in your puffy mangina then walk away. Nuff sed.

*As for Amazon Go, I think it's an interesting concept but I think it will take awhile to catch on. I don't know how it will compete with regular grocery stores that offer coupons and weekly specials. I can see it taking off in upscale urban centers in major cities but I'm not sure how well this will play with the lower middle-class hoi polloi. I'm not saying it will fail, in fact, I think a lot of futuristic changes will become a reality because of this new shopping paradigm. But I do think it will be awhile before the kinks are worked out and it becomes mainstream.

And hopefully no more annoying twits will be part of this new paradigm. ;)
Early concept is always like this but amazon is hoping this will catch on because people don't like queuing up to pay. They rather take the item and just walk out the door. It's quick and convenient and saves the customer having to take out their credit card to pay. I think this concept is bloody genius. A while? I see this going full scale in 5 years easily especially in the USA. :). This is why they bought Whole foods. This was a test pilot to see how things would pan out and then do further expansion later.

Oh yeah and amazon practically runs 50-60% of the internet today. Their massive server farms holds so much data that it's insane.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You are thinking very linear. This is exactly what people said when amazon first started their website. They jumped to conclusion without looking at the whole picture. This is going to be huge in 10 years time. They are starting small and trialling how it goes before going full scale. They know what they are doing and they have a lot of smart people behind the team who knows that they are doing.

You assume much. :) I am not jumping to any conclusions here, I am just going to have to point out clearly why I think this is a pointless direction for Amazon. ;)

First, Amazon is what it is today because it offers quick and easy online shopping and fast shipping TO YOUR HOME. The evolution of the retail store is what Amazon already is, without the pointless brick and mortar Amazon Go store. How much sense does it make to go to an Amazon Go store to get something if you have to pass Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Home Depot and Michael's on the way there? The prices are not always better.

Second, this experiment by Amazon is going to cost them lots of money. This will be passed on in the form of higher Prime fees, higher shipping rates and possibly higher product prices due to higher fees to online merchants for Amazon stores.

Third, Amazon is not going to be a player in the brick and mortar supermarket, because that market is drying up quickly due to delivery services like Instacart, Uber Delivery, and some supermarkets have their own independent delivery services. Oh, and wait...Amazon Fresh. I mean, how dumb is this?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm sure they've discovered some kind of niche they can take advantage off and they have a plan ready in a way that we won't be able to perceive. I'm sure it will turn out to be a massive success. Five years from now we will probably be talking on here about how strange it is that the rest of the market allowed this to happen without trying something similar for themselves and how Amazon absorbed them or sent them out of business until finally Walmart bites the dust.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You assume much. :) I am not jumping to any conclusions here, I am just going to have to point out clearly why I think this is a pointless direction for Amazon. ;)

First, Amazon is what it is today because it offers quick and easy online shopping and fast shipping TO YOUR HOME. The evolution of the retail store is what Amazon already is, without the pointless brick and mortar Amazon Go store. How much sense does it make to go to an Amazon Go store to get something if you have to pass Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Home Depot and Michael's on the way there? The prices are not always better.

This is purely out of convinence sake. Yes, Amazon does offer Quick and easy online shopping, but when you are out, and want to buy something, amazon isn't going to have drones in the air, just waiting for them to drop an item to you now are they? This is for people that want to go to a brick and mortar store and buy something. Such a market still exists especially when it comes to consumable goods. Although, they have filled a patent something similar to this ;). See this.

Second, this experiment by Amazon is going to cost them lots of money. This will be passed on in the form of higher Prime fees, higher shipping rates and possibly higher product prices due to higher fees to online merchants for Amazon stores.

Fees going up is only natural. This happens with all products as over time prices do go up but they go up gradually. Some people might leave, but what alternative is there to Amazon? Besides, this costs them pennies compared to how much money they make.
Third, Amazon is not going to be a player in the brick and mortar supermarket, because that market is drying up quickly due to delivery services like Instacart, Uber Delivery, and some supermarkets have their own independent delivery services. Oh, and wait...Amazon Fresh. I mean, how dumb is this?
The market isn't dying. If it was dying, Costco wouldn't be around still. It's just changing and amazon basically wants to rule the world and provide every single service where it benefits the consumer. This is why they entered into the entertainment business world, they entered in the internet world and they are now entering into the brick and mortar world. They also are doing this small scale to see how things pan out and doing the fine touches here and there and then going on full throttle. I think you are under-estimating how big this company is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is purely out of convinence sake. Yes, Amazon does offer Quick and easy online shopping, but when you are out, and want to buy something, amazon isn't going to have drones in the air, just waiting for them to drop an item to you now are they? This is for people that want to go to a brick and mortar store and buy something. Such a market still exists especially when it comes to consumable goods. Although, they have filled a patent something similar to this ;). See this.

You missed the point. Amazon IS easy online shopping and fast shipping to your home. It's to Amazon as your skeleton is to your body, and without that foundation there would be no Amazon. Amazon Go is the anti-Amazon, and makes no real sense. People are not increasing their visits to brick and mortar stores, they are cutting them out whenever and wherever they can. For people who prefer going to brick and mortar stores, places like Walmart and Costco and Target and Sam's Club will be where they are headed, not an Amazon store. One exception might be the books. Amazon's book selection is bigger than all the books at Barnes and Noble and elsewhere, and people might purposely head to an Amazon Go store to get books. But the store here in Westwood is small inside, and has nothing displayed. It's essentially an Amazon Locker store with a clerk and pop music playing (from Amazon Music).

Fees going up is only natural. This happens with all products as over time prices do go up but they go up gradually. Some people might leave, but what alternative is there to Amazon? Besides, this costs them pennies compared to how much money they make.

Fees going up is NOT natural. It is the result of higher costs due to spending or under budgeting. Fees are not a plant. They do not grow on their own. Also, there are always alternatives to Amazon. Frequently, I will find an article on Amazon from a number of sellers at prices ranging up to a $10.00 difference. When I search the item on the internet, I can find it cheaper at another retailer online like Wayfair or Overstock or World Market or Ali Baba or a myriad of others. Talk about thinking linear! I wonder how you manage to make it through the day without emptying your wallet every day!

The market isn't dying. If it was dying, Costco wouldn't be around still. It's just changing and amazon basically wants to rule the world and provide every single service where it benefits the consumer. This is why they entered into the entertainment business world, they entered in the internet world and they are now entering into the brick and mortar world. They also are doing this small scale to see how things pan out and doing the fine touches here and there and then going on full throttle. I think you are under-estimating how big this company is.

The brick and mortar retail market is dying. It's a provable fact. Amazon is a HUGE part of why that is happening, and even Walmart is threatened. Costco is not really as big as you think they are, and they compare more favorably with Sam's Club than they do with the mega-players like Walmart. Amazon is going to get bigger and it will spread into more markets, and I am glad they are because I am a fan. But this PARTICULAR experiment with the Amazon Go store is a predictable fail.

What some of you aren't getting is that Amazon Go stores are brick and mortar outlets that serve a specific locale. Each of those properties costs money to buy and/or lease, including property taxes. Then there's the cost of the infrastructure building (because it's gotta be a new building), basic electrical wiring, plumbing, computer accounting system (Point of Sale cash registers) and then buying, installing and maintaining the thousand cameras recording each purchase. And let's not forget the human staff members who are needed to handle daily problems and, more importantly, to stock the shelves in the stores. Repeat this process for every single Amazon Go location over and over and over. It's insanely expensive in the long run.

I have a background in retail management and intimately know the cost of operating a brick and mortar location. The property taxes alone in an upscale location are enough to curl your hair in shock. That's just the taxes. In short, operating a physical retail location is a very, very costly endeavor.

*Oddly enough, when a retail corporation is in an expansion phase and is opening stores in many markets the stock value tends to rise. But after a few years the bubble bursts and contraction begins; store locations are closed and product is consolidated to save on expenses. So what I'm saying is this Amazon Go thing seems more like a gimmick to improve the purses of shareholders. If some technological advancements in the shopping process comes out of this experiment that's great. But I don't see this as revolutionizing our daily shopping experience as much as some here think it will.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
https://www.recode.net/2018/2/22/17...los-angeles-the-grove-rick-caruso-cashierless

Amazon’s much-heralded convenience store of the future, Amazon Go, may seem like a crazy experiment. But the company plans to open as many as six more of these storefronts this year, multiple people familiar with the company’s plans have told Recode.

Some of the new high-tech stores are likely to open in Amazon’s hometown of Seattle, where the first location is based, as well as Los Angeles, these people said. It’s not clear if Amazon will open up Go stores in any other cities this year.

In Los Angeles, Amazon has held serious talks with billionaire developer Rick Caruso about bringing a Go store to The Grove, his 600,000-square-foot outdoor shopping Mecca, two of these people said.

And in Seattle, Amazon had identified at least three locations for additional Go stores as of last year, according to one source.

It's the beginning of a revolution. I don't think these people will care but like I said, we are going to get both good and bad side of the world. The only way to buy time is to become AI or be in an industry that requires AI input. You can't beat AI. It's either game over or stale mate with AI because it can predict what move you are going to do next before you have done it.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
What some of you aren't getting is that Amazon Go stores are brick and mortar outlets that serve a specific locale. Each of those properties costs money to buy and/or lease, including property taxes. Then there's the cost of the infrastructure building (because it's gotta be a new building), basic electrical wiring, plumbing, computer accounting system (Point of Sale cash registers) and then buying, installing and maintaining the thousand cameras recording each purchase. And let's not forget the human staff members who are needed to handle daily problems and, more importantly, to stock the shelves in the stores. Repeat this process for every single Amazon Go location over and over and over. It's insanely expensive in the long run.

I have a background in retail management and intimately know the cost of operating a brick and mortar location. The property taxes alone in an upscale location are enough to curl your hair in shock. That's just the taxes. In short, operating a physical retail location is a very, very costly endeavor.

*Oddly enough, when a retail corporation is in an expansion phase and is opening stores in many markets the stock value tends to rise. But after a few years the bubble bursts and contraction begins; store locations are closed and product is consolidated to save on expenses. So what I'm saying is this Amazon Go thing seems more like a gimmick to improve the purses of shareholders. If some technological advancements in the shopping process comes out of this experiment that's great. But I don't see this as revolutionizing our daily shopping experience as much as some here think it will.
You are thinking very linear. Yes amazon does need to pay rent, but that's a fraction when you don't need to pay wages to people.
https://www.recode.net/2018/2/22/17...los-angeles-the-grove-rick-caruso-cashierless

At the moment, Amazon is a solid company to invest in even if its PE ratio is out of whack. Oh and there is a reason why SP for amazon and others is so high. Your guys interest rate is so low that it doesn't seem to give any private investor/company a good return on investment so that's why they put their money into these companies.

You are thinking very linear. Yes amazon does need to pay rent, but that's a fraction when you don't need to pay wages to people.

At the moment, Amazon is a solid company to invest in even if its PE ratio is out of whack. Oh and there is a reason why SP for amazon and others is so high. Your guys interest rate is so low that it doesn't seem to give any private investor/company a good return on investment so that's why they put their money into these companies.

Yes, Amazon is a good company, mostly due to diversification. To my mind the brick and mortar stores are a "loss leader" the cost of which they can absorb. And like I said the building of these stores will give the stock an uptick for awhile. I don't see the Amazon stores becoming mainstream as there is too much competition in every locale. But I do see the technology for automated sales they are developing and implementing as something that goes mainstream and will be copied by competitors (to some extent).

And yes, we stupidly allowed our money to be devalued so Wall street bankers could bloat the stock market as an alternative place for people to find "value". We are paying the price now but no one wants to admit it. (I could go on for days about this issue but don't have the energy to do so right now.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

It's the beginning of a revolution. I don't think these people will care but like I said, we are going to get both good and bad side of the world. The only way to buy time is to become AI or be in an industry that requires AI input. You can't beat AI. It's either game over or stale mate with AI because it can predict what move you are going to do next before you have done it.

Sigh. :) All you have to remember when it comes to A.I. is that it is NEVER going to be given the power to control humans. Many of the scenarios you have posted here put A.I. in the position of being able to control people, maybe dictate actions or otherwise be able to independently make decisions that force humans to do something. It's NEVER going to happen. NEVER. It has so many weaknesses, but probably fewer weaknesses than those who are busy trying to create it in the first place. A.I. needs to live in hardware. It needs to be powered by energy coming from somewhere. It needs to be maintained, and it needs access to information from databases or direct observation. Much like humans, if you block the senses, then you become disoriented. If you remove all input you isolate them completely.

I am going to send you a robot. :)

irbt.jpg

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Sigh. :) All you have to remember when it comes to A.I. is that it is NEVER going to be given the power to control humans. Many of the scenarios you have posted here put A.I. in the position of being able to control people, maybe dictate actions or otherwise be able to independently make decisions that force humans to do something. It's NEVER going to happen. NEVER. It has so many weaknesses, but probably fewer weaknesses than those who are busy trying to create it in the first place. A.I. needs to live in hardware. It needs to be powered by energy coming from somewhere. It needs to be maintained, and it needs access to information from databases or direct observation. Much like humans, if you block the senses, then you become disoriented. If you remove all input you isolate them completely.

I am going to send you a robot. :)

View attachment 33861
So many weakness? Do you know that a computer is able to learn things quicker than we can? They'll replace monotonous jobs. At first they won't replace creative jobs but repetitive jobs such as accounting will be taken over by machines. You also don't need to look far as to what an intelligent being is capable of. If you see what humans have been capable of, it is incomprehensible to know what AI could do because it's beyond our way of thinking. We can't begin to comprehend our existence in this universe and have only begin to comprehend what the universe is made of but we have been able to create destruction and chaos and hacked nature.

You need to watch these videos
The Jobs at the low end will get replaced but also get refined too meaning that there will be more people that are unemployed and people with extensive backgrounds/skillset will get chosen.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So many weakness? Do you know that a computer is able to learn things quicker than we can? They'll replace monotonous jobs. At first they won't replace creative jobs but repetitive jobs such as accounting will be taken over by machines. You also don't need to look far as to what an intelligent being is capable of.

Yes, but what you are describing is mere automation. That's what robots do best, automation. A.I. is a whole different animal. Think more like your cat or perhaps a dog or even a small child. That will be the level of the first sentient A.I. Information is not context. Feeding the timeline of events for WWII and the movements of the military would not give it the context of the reasons for the war, therefore how would it understand the outcome? How could you make it understand why it was created in the first place?

If you see what humans have been capable of, it is incomprehensible to know what AI could do because it's beyond our way of thinking. We can't begin to comprehend our existence in this universe and have only begin to comprehend what the universe is made of but we have been able to create destruction and chaos and hacked nature.

You need to watch these videos
The Jobs at the low end will get replaced but also get refined too meaning that there will be more people that are unemployed and people with extensive backgrounds/skillset will get chosen.

Automation. It's both a good thing and a bad thing.