amazon creepy patents

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I would start planning on working for yourself folks...I am pretty sure other companies will love to adopt this.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I would start planning on working for yourself folks...I am pretty sure other companies will love to adopt this.

Which part of the video are you referring to here?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Amazon is going it's merry way thinking it is going to become the ONLY store on the planet. Just like Walmart tried. They will fail at that, but lots of this tech will come to pass first.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Amazon is going it's merry way thinking it is going to become the ONLY store on the planet. Just like Walmart tried. They will fail at that, but lots of this tech will come to pass first.
Walmart didn't adapt that's why it lost. Amazon WILL take over the world and it already is. They have distribution centres across the world already. They invest all the money back into the business and rarely make a profit. They provide their customer convenience and are always striving to improve.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Walmart didn't adapt that's why it lost. Amazon WILL take over the world and it already is. They have distribution centres across the world already. They invest all the money back into the business and rarely make a profit. They provide their customer convenience and are always striving to improve.

It will only get as far as consumers allow it to go. Corporations cannot function without consumers. That is why they have invested so much, basically everything they have, into growing the consumer base. All capitalist entities benefit from consumerism. And they have bought the schools, the colleges, your free time and your social lives (not you personally, but the majority of Millennials) and chunks of the older demographics (particularly on the higher social-economic rungs). They do well because they provide all those things you mentioned. I am a fan of them and buy from them quite often. :) But what they are doing is not conquering the market (like Walmart did), they are absorbing it. Its like Google and Microsoft. Google is a leader because they are not aligned with the military, with government or any of the political machines. Microsoft, on the other hand, is entirely dependent on their government and military contracts, as well as the corporate enterprise. Without those, Microsoft sinks. Google is in a far better position.

For now, Amazon is one of the good guys, I think. :)

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It will only get as far as consumers allow it to go. Corporations cannot function without consumers. That is why they have invested so much, basically everything they have, into growing the consumer base. All capitalist entities benefit from consumerism. And they have bought the schools, the colleges, your free time and your social lives (not you personally, but the majority of Millennials and chunks of the older demographics (particularly on the higher social-economic rungs). They do well because they provide all those things you mentioned. I am a fan of them and buy from them quite often. :) But what they are doing is not conquering the market (like Walmart did), they are absorbing it. Its like Google and Microsoft. Google is a leader because they are not aligned with the military, with government or any of the political machines. Microsoft, on the other hand, is entirely dependent on their government and military contracts, as well as the corporate enterprise. Without those, Microsoft sinks. Google is in a far better position.

and remember trust is where loyalty is build and amazon has build their trust by giving quality service to their customers. I see Amazon expanding into a much bigger business than what we see today. They are not shying away from making mistakes but they learn from them.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i turned it off after wrist monitors for employees

i find it disturbing how these yuppies and hipsters and millennials find it to be progressive to have tech like this

it is not progressive, it is repressive and regressive, hearkening back to the days of sweatshops. this tech would be nothing more then a pretty packaged form of sweat shop labor

amazon warehouses already are gaining a bad rep as worker hostile places

and, are amazon employees really so dumb that they need to be told by their wrist that they are reaching for the wrong bin? or perhaps they are just too overworked?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i turned it off after wrist monitors for employees

i find it disturbing how these yuppies and hipsters and millennials find it to be progressive to have tech like this

it is not progressive, it is repressive and regressive, hearkening back to the days of sweatshops. this tech would be nothing more then a pretty packaged form of sweat shop labor

amazon warehouses already are gaining a bad rep as worker hostile places

and, are amazon employees really so dumb that they need to be told by their wrist that they are reaching for the wrong bin? or perhaps they are just too overworked?

The solution for these employees who do not want to live under the rules of Amazon is just not to work there, yes? I don't think there is anywhere that Amazon is the only employer in town. I agree with you about the seemingly draconian wrist monitors, but mistakes in the warehouse cost the company money in overtime and restocking. You can also eliminate much of the "training" by simply having the wrist monitor tell them what to do step by step. That way, literally anyone can start work and be useful from day one instead of a break in period. Just sayin...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The solution for these employees who do not want to live under the rules of Amazon is just not to work there, yes?

YES!!!

I have read elsewhere where many ppl who do work there are basically in a life situation where they have few other choices (you know, like ppl say about ppl who join the military?)

they give hiring bonus, benies, nice down time facilities and stuff like on site day care.

however, the work is said to be brutal with very tight time restrictions (understandable) tha tabsically require a lot of jogging around a warehouse the size of several football fields

you'd think a company like Amz would have people and cargo movers like a segway or something similar to get around. this running and so much time on the feet MUST end up costing the company more in medical payouts/insurance claims/workman's comp, no?

-----------------i believe that this workforce will be the first eliminated in favor of total AI mechanization in the US. Amz has both the tech, money and motive to do so.

hey, i want my stuff to get here quickly too! but when you consider the human toll to get that box of Korean bulgogi sauce here in 2 days, is it worth it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
YES!!!

I have read elsewhere where many ppl who do work there are basically in a life situation where they have few other choices (you know, like ppl say about ppl who join the military?)

they give hiring bonus, benies, nice down time facilities and stuff like on site day care.

however, the work is said to be brutal with very tight time restrictions (understandable) tha tabsically require a lot of jogging around a warehouse the size of several football fields

you'd think a company like Amz would have people and cargo movers like a segway or something similar to get around. this running and so much time on the feet MUST end up costing the company more in medical payouts/insurance claims/workman's comp, no?

-----------------i believe that this workforce will be the first eliminated in favor of total AI mechanization in the US. Amz has both the tech, money and motive to do so.

hey, i want my stuff to get here quickly too! but when you consider the human toll to get that box of Korean bulgogi sauce here in 2 days, is it worth it?

Bolded, yes I agree. Online businesses do not need customer-facing personnel. They do not need to spend money on sale signs, cart retrievers, window washers, sales associates, nothing like that. All they really need is warehouse workers and procurement managers and customer service personnel.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It will only get as far as consumers allow it to go. Corporations cannot function without consumers. That is why they have invested so much, basically everything they have, into growing the consumer base. All capitalist entities benefit from consumerism. And they have bought the schools, the colleges, your free time and your social lives (not you personally, but the majority of Millennials) and chunks of the older demographics (particularly on the higher social-economic rungs). They do well because they provide all those things you mentioned. I am a fan of them and buy from them quite often. :) But what they are doing is not conquering the market (like Walmart did), they are absorbing it. Its like Google and Microsoft. Google is a leader because they are not aligned with the military, with government or any of the political machines. Microsoft, on the other hand, is entirely dependent on their government and military contracts, as well as the corporate enterprise. Without those, Microsoft sinks. Google is in a far better position.

This is how much Amazon owns Walmart :P

https://www.recode.net/2018/2/21/17035706/amazon-jeff-bezos-worth-walmart-stock-market-value-growth

Amazon, the perpetual retail boogeyman, is now worth more than two and half times its biggest brick-and-mortar counterpart, Walmart.

Thanks to slowing e-commerce growth this past holiday season, Walmart saw its biggest one-day drop in stock price in two years — it has lost nearly $35 billion in market cap since Monday. Amazon, fresh from earlier this month reporting its record $1.9 billion in last-quarter profit, has seen its stock and market value rise about 7 percent since then.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

GOOD. Walmart is run by greedy, dis-compassionate slave masters. Their business model is spread and absorb. They push their way into neighborhoods and use nefarious city tricks to plop down giant stores and destroy local businesses.

Even more joyous, is knowing that Walmart would not even be a good sales acquisition because it's a brick and mortar establishment. At best, their old stores could be local Amazon fulfillment warehouses. Other than that, why would anyone buy Walmart?