Algebra from hell?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No, but apparently many Americans are getting twisted up over this problem. Seems they did not learn correctly in school.

Now I know many Americans are somewhere on the 'dumb-uneducated/ignorant-I forgot it' scale, but this is still surprising.

563d36d9ddcd740e_maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.popsugar.com/tech/Viral-YouTube-Math-Problem-43172557

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I knew it was either 1 or 9 depending on how you were taught order of operations. The older way it was 1 the newer way it is 9. Then again I also am working a lot with formulae in code so it makes sense I'd know... :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I knew it was either 1 or 9 depending on how you were taught order of operations. The older way it was 1 the newer way it is 9. Then again I also am working a lot with formulae in code so it makes sense I'd know... :)

i got 9 the first time.

hey 50/50 right!

but here is my thing about this

if math is universal-then how can this 'error' occur? how can the new way come up with a diff answer then the old way?

now something i know-and you,Joe know as well

the ASVAB test (or the SAT,etc)

what if this question were on there?

you do not get back any feedback on what questions you got right or wrong. so if you choose the wrong, right answer

and one probably would since the asvab was designed back in the 60's or so.

either way-it is an interesting "thing"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Math IS universal. This is actually a difference in notation.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
As far as I'm concerned, the answer is 1.

If you wanna get 9 you'd have to write it as...

(6/2)(1+2)=

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
As far as I'm concerned, the answer is 1.

If you wanna get 9 you'd have to write it as...

(6/2)(1+2)=

this is my point

since math is universal--i do agree btw-- but the methods we use to understand, use and express it are developed by man. BUT, no matter where you learned it or what you use, one should get the same answer regardless of notation or language

this is very over simplistic, but if i asked someone from a non english speaking nation if 2+2 = 'what is 2 and another couple,few?'. even if they put it through a translator, they probably wouldn't get the right answer/the answer i am looking for

some,many, in America, would say it is unsolvable since, to them "few" means 3 or more. they probably never heard the local expression "couple,few"

ppl around here would know what i mean. 4 of course

around here "couple,few"- is a way of saying 2. not standardized of course.

this problem goes away if all we use is math and its notations, or it should

is the use of the / just a newer way of notating division ops on a keyboard since there is no standard division sign on the keyboard?

IDK

math is hard! lets ban it!!! :) :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I agree that the rules we use to write math are agreements, however looking at the formula in the OP, it is clear that the part 2(1+2) belongs together, in essense forming a single component of the equation. This is a conclusion which one could make without having any prior knowledge of math or the agreements in place.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
this is my point

since math is universal--i do agree btw-- but the methods we use to understand, use and express it are developed by man. BUT, no matter where you learned it or what you use, one should get the same answer regardless of notation or language

Only if one uses the correct mathematical "grammar".

this is very over simplistic, but if i asked someone from a non english speaking nation if 2+2 = 'what is 2 and another couple,few?'. even if they put it through a translator, they probably wouldn't get the right answer/the answer i am looking for

some,many, in America, would say it is unsolvable since, to them "few" means 3 or more. they probably never heard the local expression "couple,few"

ppl around here would know what i mean. 4 of course

around here "couple,few"- is a way of saying 2. not standardized of course.

this problem goes away if all we use is math and its notations, or it should

is the use of the / just a newer way of notating division ops on a keyboard since there is no standard division sign on the keyboard?

IDK

math is hard! lets ban it!!! :) :)

a-cool-scientific-calculator-app-for-android-from--ahmedabad-based-americos-technologies-1343.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree that the rules we use to write math are agreements, however looking at the formula in the OP, it is clear that the part 2(1+2) belongs together, in essense forming a single component of the equation. This is a conclusion which one could make without having any prior knowledge of math or the agreements in place.

Only if one uses the correct mathematical "grammar".

yet 9 is the correct answer.

would be interesting to know, once again, how many other "grammatical mistakes" are out there in the math and science world

If a question like this or this question were on a test you needed to pass for a job and you got it wrong, what then? argue with them over notations? then they may not hire you because you are an argumentative person :)

When i did the problem i just assumed that the 6 divided by 2 as if they were in para's, then multiplied those two numbers

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Ehm no. 9 is not the correct answer. Basta!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ehm no. 9 is not the correct answer. Basta!

no, you are wrong :) this dude says so--Presh Talwalkar. he is the guy who got this going. it is in the article I linked to in the first post:

"Ready with your answer? Perhaps you did the following: 6/2(3) leads to (3)(3) with a final answer of 9. Others did something else: 6/2(3) gives you the next equation, 6/6, and an answer of 1. The correct answer: 9!"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this guy reminded me

in order of op's, if two ops of the same precedence occur-in this case multiply and divide- then you go from left to right.

so that is why you end up with 3x3=9

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Multiplying and dividing are not equal. Multiplying comes before dividing according to what I learned in grammar school or whatever you call it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
according to the PEDMAS or BODMAS rules--they are in the video i just posted! :)

multiply and dividing are co-equal functions, when they occur in a equation, the ruless tate to work it from left to right and do whatever function you get to first

in this case, it is the division

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I will allow you to use my experiences from fifty years past.

Considering I couldn't pass an algebra test in years past I need to share this with everyone.

According to my Canadian education you need to finish any math operation inside the parenthesis first. Followed by any outside operation. Thus 1 plus 2 equals to a 3 inside, while on the outside 6 divided by a 2 is equal to 3. As the three sits next to the parenthesis does that automatically suggest a 'multiple' operation or 3 times 3 = nine.

Now I have time to figure out how to program my 20 year old VCR.

TY and enjoy your weekends.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I will allow you to use my experiences from fifty years past.

Considering I couldn't pass an algebra test in years past I need to share this with everyone.

According to my Canadian education you need to finish any math operation inside the parenthesis first. Followed by any outside operation. Thus 1 plus 2 equals to a 3 inside, while on the outside 6 divided by a 2 is equal to 3. As the three sits next to the parenthesis does that automatically suggest a 'multiple' operation or 3 times 3 = nine.

Now I have time to figure out how to program my 20 years VCR.

TY and enjoy your weekends.

seems your canadian education was done did good :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
LOl and with common core math close enough is right! ;)