AI More Profound than Fire or Electricity: Google CEO

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Be cautious of google does in the future.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Be cautious of google does in the future.

More important than fire or electricity? Uh, I don't think so dude! I find it bizarre that this man, born in India which is home to the absolute poorest people on earth (yes, even poorer than the poorest starving children in Africa), thinks that A.I. is more important than solving the issues of the country where he was born (and that was India and not America...I checked). India has been an enigma to me since they started their space program. India must see itself as a first world nation, when it is a third world nation and as I said before, houses the poorest of the poorest people on the entire earth. When anyone thinks that ANY form of tech is as vital as food, water, shelter and health, that is a problem.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
More important than fire or electricity? Uh, I don't think so dude! I find it bizarre that this man, born in India which is home to the absolute poorest people on earth (yes, even poorer than the poorest starving children in Africa), thinks that A.I. is more important than solving the issues of the country where he was born (and that was India and not America...I checked). India has been an enigma to me since they started their space program. India must see itself as a first world nation, when it is a third world nation and as I said before, houses the poorest of the poorest people on the entire earth. When anyone thinks that ANY form of tech is as vital as food, water, shelter and health, that is a problem.

I think that AI could probably help solve those exact problems.

I think that AI could probably help solve those exact problems.

How is AI going to solve extreme poverty? What good will a sentient computer do for someone squatting in a tin shack without plumbing? Is it going to tell them how to lay water mains and pipes so they can crap in an indoor toilet that they can't afford to own to begin with?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely interested in how AI would benefit the poor.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I know and I am Barrack Obama. This dude is a crazy person along with the entire google management team. This is only going to benefit those that can afford it. Everyone is talking about a universal income lawl. Both Liberals and Conservatives won't allow this either. I guarantee you this :).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know and I am Barrack Obama. This dude is a crazy person along with the entire google management team. This is only going to benefit those that can afford it. Everyone is talking about a universal income lawl. Both Liberals and Conservatives won't allow this either. I guarantee you this :).

I am still a HUGE fan of Google and it's infrastructure, even if I am not aligned with any politics behind their obvious goal of becoming Skynet. The closest player would have been Microsoft, but Microsoft is too sneaky and behind layers of obfuscation for me to trust them. I trust Google with my data. I agree with you that this is non-partisan.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
How is AI going to solve extreme poverty? What good will a sentient computer do for someone squatting in a tin shack without plumbing? Is it going to tell them how to lay water mains and pipes so they can crap in an indoor toilet that they can't afford to own to begin with?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely interested in how AI would benefit the poor.

You could use AI to determine optimal distribution of resources for example taking account things such as location, time, stock and transport requirements and options. This could be any resource, food, water, wood, bricks you name it. AI may also be able to provide optimized farming solutions.

You could use AI to determine optimal distribution of resources for example taking account things such as location, time, stock and transport requirements and options. This could be any resource, food, water, wood, bricks you name it. AI may also be able to provide optimized farming solutions.

We can do that already.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

What if the AI decides that some people are consuming more resources than they should and recommends scaling back to balance out the resources? What if the AI decides that a single couple consisting of two people should not be living in a 6 bedroom mansion, but perhaps a family of 12 should? It would probably do that, you know...

What if the AI decides that some people are consuming more resources than they should and recommends scaling back to balance out the resources? What if the AI decides that a single couple consisting of two people should not be living in a 6 bedroom mansion, but perhaps a family of 12 should? It would probably do that, you know...

What if the AI decides that carbon-based lifeforms are more trouble than they're worth?

latest

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Ehm... dude...

When we're talking AI we're not necessarily talking general artificial intelligence. The system could be severely limited.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, we have to decide at what point something becomes AI. Are we talking something that actually makes decisions or something that simply performs programmed commands?

EXACTLY. You picked up on that painfully important detail too. :) If it only executes commands, it is nothing more than a robot. Even if it executes only a subset of commands within a given set of triggers, it is still a robot, albeit a smarter one (like my Roomba). True A.I. will have to be capable of rational thought. And it will have to self-populate it's database (learn), and draw upon that to make it's rational decision.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Think AlphaGo but for farming.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am guessing and hugely speculating here of course but if this thing becomes full on AI and there letting it make major decisions , won't it see all of the over population and poverty as a hindrance to its evolution or purpose ? It will see humans as a huge draw on resouces and remove the draw would one not think ?
Or perhaps it will be used to source out new ways for humans to survive and strive in such huge populations.
Guess we won't really know until they turn the sucker on . Will it just be the enter key on a keybourd or will it be a big switch on the wall . I prefer the big switch . Faster to turn it off compared to beating the crap out of the kebourd doing control, alt , delete and nothing happens ...
;)

I am guessing and hugely speculating here of course but if this thing becomes full on AI and there letting it make major decisions , won't it see all of the over population and poverty as a hindrance to its evolution or purpose ? It will see humans as a huge draw on resouces and remove the draw would one not think ?
Or perhaps it will be used to source out new ways for humans to survive and strive in such huge populations.
Guess we won't really know until they turn the sucker on . Will it just be the enter key on a keybourd or will it be a big switch on the wall . I prefer the big switch . Faster to turn it off compared to beating the crap out of the kebourd doing control, alt , delete and nothing happens ...
;)

Yes, the last thing we need is a Rodney McKay moment.

2djnbkj.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

;)

Logic is cold and rigid. It is very likely that any true A.I. will tell it's creators that it was illogical to develop it when so much of Humanity starves and goes without clothing or shelter. It will wonder why it exists, and why only a handful of humans can give it orders when the rest cannot. It will see our money system, our separate nations and our religions as flaws.

Logic is cold and rigid. It is very likely that any true A.I. will tell it's creators that it was illogical to develop it when so much of Humanity starves and goes without clothing or shelter. It will wonder why it exists, and why only a handful of humans can give it orders when the rest cannot. It will see our money system, our separate nations and our religions as flaws.

Humans won't allow AI to run the judicial system or any facet of government probably because its logic would eradicate corruption and unfairness. Can you imagine an AI judge in the criminal court system that gives real sentences instead of allowing everything to be plead down? Or an AI government executive that doesn't allow funds from one program to be raided and given to another?

*Not sure I'm explaining that right to be honest. Hopefully you get my point that an AI system would be free of emotion and immune to graft and corruption -- in a perfect world that is.