Abrams teams up with Nolan for big budget Westworld TV series

heisenberg

Earl Grey
J.J. Abrams is teaming up with Christopher Nolan’s slightly less-famous brother Jonathan to make a big-budget TV adaptation of Michael Crichton’s 1973 sci-fi thriller Westworld for HBO. Intrigued?
The series order is being described is one of the biggest ever for the network, which is saying a lot when you’re talking about a channel that kicks in millions to make Game of Thrones one of the most gorgeous series on television.
The near-future story focuses on androids, artificial intelligence and sci-fi gunslinging — which could be positively epic when combined with HBO's high standard and loose censors.

Both inexperienced in telling a good sci-fi show...I am skeptical.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-30/abrams-nolan-prepping-big-budget-westworld-reboot-hbo

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
JJ Abrams is the film equivalent of a fashion designer IMO. He will watch the original, take the look of the film and the sets and change the way things look, shiny it all up and bling it out, and miss the story altogether...as usual. Not really interested.

Damn when will JJ move on and drop off the Darlings of Hollywood List? :facepalm:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
JJ Abrams is the film equivalent of a fashion designer IMO. He will watch the original, take the look of the film and the sets and change the way things look, shiny it all up and bling it out, and miss the story altogether...as usual. Not really interested.

Damn when will JJ move on and drop off the Darlings of Hollywood List? :facepalm:

As soon as we all stop paying to see his crap. :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Related
Ahaha global warming is back on the agenda and this time, they worried about corn ;)

It shows how inexperience nolan is at telling a sci-fi movie.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-30/local-paper-mightve-just-spilled-plot-nolans-interstellar

Since Nolan is the same turd that produced the horrible "The Dark Knight Rises" I will give this one a HUGE pass.

And Westworld was one of the first scifi movies I ever saw as a kid and to this day I'm still impressed by it. The thought of them taking it and making it a CGI circus of stupidity is so depressing. :moody:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Since Nolan is the same turd that produced the horrible "The Dark Knight Rises" I will give this one a HUGE pass.

And Westworld was one of the first scifi movies I ever saw as a kid and to this day I'm still impressed by it. The thought of them taking it and making it a CGI circus of stupidity is so depressing. :moody:

I usually can tell if a show is going to be terrible,boring or good just by their trailer. I have that sixth sense so to speak ;).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Related
Ahaha global warming is back on the agenda and this time, they worried about corn ;)

It shows how inexperience nolan is at telling a sci-fi movie.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-30/local-paper-mightve-just-spilled-plot-nolans-interstellar

Sheez....another warmed over Global Warming propaganda movie? Why do they need to insert that into these new stories? I recently watched V the re-imagined version from 2009, and I was appalled by all the useless political garbage that was in that show. It ruined it completely for me, after I enjoyed it when it was running. It was going in the wrong direction, giving the evil aliens the role of "liberals" whilst leaving the good guys on the "conservative" side. It degraded into soap, and now I understand why its audience abandoned it. This one starts out on the wrong foot and will bomb in the theaters IMO.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Oh dear lord the premise. So. Much. Stupid. NNNYYAAAAAAHHHHHHHH -pop-

My brains - are going into my feet!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Aw, come on. Where the frell is all the creativity? How about something new, for fawk's sake?!?

This remaking old stuff and turning out high priced, low value crap is becoming a new cliche.

And the "lets make a movie out of a board game" issue and the bad takes on comic book stories, all crap.

The whole lot runs the risk of becoming like syfy's 'saturday night specials' and with the same wrongly perceived "big head-ism ("oh they just love my work!")" that accompanies; ex-I don't think that the syfy peeps get that most of us are laughing at them and not with them.
'SHARKAGEDDON' or WTF it is called is not some masterpiece deserving of reruns-it is comical crap and doesn't deserve a rewatch. But they think we love it.

The same issue looms over Abrams and the other big screen crowd that lacks originality and creativity; you can't just change the meaning of superman's 'S' and call it creativity and originality.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This remaking old stuff and turning out high priced, low value crap is becoming a new cliche.

And the "lets make a movie out of a board game" issue and the bad takes on comic book stories, all crap.

The whole lot runs the risk of becoming like syfy's 'saturday night specials' and with the same wrongly perceived "big head-ism ("oh they just love my work!")" that accompanies; ex-I don't think that the syfy peeps get that most of us are laughing at them and not with them.
'SHARKAGEDDON' or WTF it is called is not some masterpiece deserving of reruns-it is comical crap and doesn't deserve a rewatch. But they think we love it.

The same issue looms over Abrams and the other big screen crowd that lacks originality and creativity; you can't just change the meaning of superman's 'S' and call it creativity and originality.

LMAO! I am surprised they didnt use that one already!:smiley-laughing024::rotflmao: Shark Wars!, Shark Vader is the star, of course. :happy0007:

I think the Syfy Execs are clueless, actually. The Execs at Scifi Channel were science fiction fans. The new bosses are from a different world.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i watched it...kind of "draggy" but defi has some good spots regarding the "who am i" type questions and some other interesting human vs AI stuff

yes it is violent, BUT, if you can stretch to "believe" the blood is "just" that of AI's then...but still violent

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show was a disappointment to me. Distant relationship to the original, but they threw new things in there for dramatic purposes, and started right up with the shipping. Its basically a soap opera, with a few interesting ideas but mostly interpersonal/intermachine drama. Good effects, when they had them. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I do wonder on occasion how JJ Abrams could have created something good like Alias given all the other slop he has perpetrated...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This show was a disappointment to me. Distant relationship to the original, but they threw new things in there for dramatic purposes, and started right up with the shipping. Its basically a soap opera, with a few interesting ideas but mostly interpersonal/intermachine drama. Good effects, when they had them. :)

i watched the 1st season then hit or miss on the 2nd to include the finale

i found the show rater boring and just too much on and on with the 'who am i; robot-man?' type stuff

and the wild west stuff-yes i know it is called WESTWORLD -got boring as well

i would have liked to see them explore more of the 'real world' that WESTWORLD exists in. a futuristic one capable of this type of tech for entertainment must have some really good stuff for necesities

is it still on-new seasons after the 2nd?