6 Years after "Cutting The Cord" from cable and satellite. (opinion)

B

Backstep

Perhaps not, but credit card companies are required to tell you if your card has an RFID chip. None of mine do.

I do not have RFID in any of my clothing, and I buy lots of clothes. Please post your source for this. :) Companies cannot just implant RFID chips in anything they want. Not only that, how do they code it for a specific person if you are using cash to pay for the clothes? As soon as the right wing Congress is dumped, this technology will stay right where it belongs...under control of the American consumer.

There will never be an RFID chip secretly introduced into my home because Im just too thorough with my technology (and the places where I buy my goods). I notice they specifically mention Walmart and Tesco which I do not shop at. :) Also, I pay cash for most everything I buy and I do not use any of those stupid cards for frequent purchases. So, if any of these chips have made it into my home, they are not coded to me. RFID is going to easily be foisted on the masses because the masses just are not sharp enough to protect themselves.

It is easy when you take the time and look for stuff like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-blockkill-RFID-chips/

You can buy pre-assembled RFID readers/killers for less than $50.00.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11828

The advertising companies are going to try everything they can to stay in business, but eventually they will lose the fight. The scenario like seen in Minority Report with people walking into stores and then advertising kiosks greeting them by name and hawking some goods is just not going to come to pass. Privacy laws will be enacted to prevent it, and Americans will continue to rebel against the practice and keep it off the shelves. Advertisers and government intrusion is losing ground, not gaining it.

Check the tires on your car :shep_lol:, manufacturers and shippers use the rfid to track and log so they do not have to scan each item individuality, they can in bulk. I think this is what yong is talking about.

If someone is bent on tracking you, do you think paying in cash will stop them?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Check the tires on your car :shep_lol:, manufacturers and shippers use the rfid to track and log so they do not have to scan each item individuality, they can in bulk. I think this is what yong is talking about.

If someone is bent on tracking you, do you think paying in cash will stop them?

LOL, what exactly would anyone monitoring an RFID chip embedded in my car tires or even my clothes would determine about me? Nothing at all. They cannot listen to audio or take video, they cannot monitor my movements within my home and even if they could, what would they find out? They might determine that every two hours or so I go to the bathroom to take a leak, and perhaps when I go to the kitchen to make a snack...what else? :anim_59: Seems like pretty useless technology to me. Albertsons for instance, has stopped using a store purchase card. This is because the data regarding who buys what is not really useful is it? I mean, people buy what they buy and that's it. Are advertisers going to destroy their competition with the data? I dont think so. The small producers and boutique type shops have no need for any of this shit. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps not, but credit card companies are required to tell you if your card has an RFID chip. None of mine do.

I do not have RFID in any of my clothing, and I buy lots of clothes. Please post your source for this. :) Companies cannot just implant RFID chips in anything they want. Not only that, how do they code it for a specific person if you are using cash to pay for the clothes? As soon as the right wing Congress is dumped, this technology will stay right where it belongs...under control of the American consumer.

There will never be an RFID chip secretly introduced into my home because Im just too thorough with my technology (and the places where I buy my goods). I notice they specifically mention Walmart and Tesco which I do not shop at. :) Also, I pay cash for most everything I buy and I do not use any of those stupid cards for frequent purchases. So, if any of these chips have made it into my home, they are not coded to me. RFID is going to easily be foisted on the masses because the masses just are not sharp enough to protect themselves.

It is easy when you take the time and look for stuff like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-blockkill-RFID-chips/

You can buy pre-assembled RFID readers/killers for less than $50.00.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11828

The advertising companies are going to try everything they can to stay in business, but eventually they will lose the fight. The scenario like seen in Minority Report with people walking into stores and then advertising kiosks greeting them by name and hawking some goods is just not going to come to pass. Privacy laws will be enacted to prevent it, and Americans will continue to rebel against the practice and keep it off the shelves. Advertisers and government intrusion is losing ground, not gaining it.

Hey man, I am not for the stuff either, so please don't try to place me into that crowd....

Do you have an rfid detector? Do you actually trust the credit card companies? Cool if you do, but look at all the shit they were exposed of doing and not prevented (hopefully they comply) b the new consumer credit protection laws

I use no credit--if I don't have the money for it, we don't buy it.

The spychips website has the best info that I have seen, though there may be others, most however are actually pro rfid when you winnow through their "chaff".:pride:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
"But industry documents suggest otherwise. A 2005 patent application by American Express itself describes how RFID-embedded objects carried by shoppers could emit "identification signals" when queried by electronic "consumer trackers." The system could identify people, record their movements, and send them video ads that might offer "incentives" or "even the emission of a scent."

The hacker in me just had a massive orgasm. :icon_lol:

B

Backstep

LOL, what exactly would anyone monitoring an RFID chip embedded in my car tires or even my clothes would determine about me? Nothing at all. They cannot listen to audio or take video, they cannot monitor my movements within my home and even if they could, what would they find out? They might determine that every two hours or so I go to the bathroom to take a leak, and perhaps when I go to the kitchen to make a snack...what else? :anim_59: Seems like pretty useless technology to me. Albertsons for instance, has stopped using a store purchase card. This is because the data regarding who buys what is not really useful is it? I mean, people buy what they buy and that's it. Are advertisers going to destroy their competition with the data? I dont think so. The small producers and boutique type shops have no need for any of this shit. :)

Your travel, habits and preferences all to better get you the best ads as yong first posted. Then to sell to third party's and nsa :shep_lol: Plus isn't this an easier way than getting people to stand in line to get the chip under their skin?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Your travel, habits and preferences all to better get you the best ads as yong first posted. Then to sell to third party's and nsa :shep_lol: Plus isn't this an easier way than getting people to stand in line to get the chip under their skin?

Im still not seeing it...so, they switch on a tracking program on an RFID chip embedded in the rubber of one of my tires. They get me pulling out of my garage, and parking in a parking structure in a 40 story building, then what? :) Even if the parking structure is in a mall, how do they track me once I have gotten out of the car? :) It is just not going to go anywhere. So many Americans live in fear of so many things...I am not one of them. I do not hoard guns, pack away 6 months supply of food or have a bunker built anywhere. I am not living in fear of RFID chips or a suddenly puritanical government coming to get me because I smoked a joint or masturbated. :anim_59:. But, all of this fear creation comes from watching too much TV.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey man, I am not for the stuff either, so please don't try to place me into that crowd....

Do you have an rfid detector? Do you actually trust the credit card companies? Cool if you do, but look at all the shit they were exposed of doing and not prevented (hopefully they comply) b the new consumer credit protection laws

I use no credit--if I don't have the money for it, we don't buy it.

The spychips website has the best info that I have seen, though there may be others, most however are actually pro rfid when you winnow through their "chaff".:pride:

I have three credit cards, and none of them have RFID chips in them. One of the main reasons to have an RFID chip in a credit card is to do "tap and pay". Read this: http://www.lowcards.com/credit-cards-rfid-13517. There would be no need for any credit card company to spend extra money to embed an RFID chip in a card secretly. If anything, they would sell the card services at a higher rate for having the chip and the ability to tap and pay.

Bottom line, is that I am not a criminal so I do not worry. I am not doing anything illegal, I am not a foreign national, I even have a valid government security clearance. What, me worry? No. Let others worry and wring their hands. :)

B

Backstep

Im still not seeing it...so, they switch on a tracking program on an RFID chip embedded in the rubber of one of my tires. They get me pulling out of my garage, and parking in a parking structure in a 40 story building, then what? :) Even if the parking structure is in a mall, how do they track me once I have gotten out of the car? :) It is just not going to go anywhere. So many Americans live in fear of so many things...I am not one of them. I do not hoard guns, pack away 6 months supply of food or have a bunker built anywhere. I am not living in fear of RFID chips or a suddenly puritanical government coming to get me because I smoked a joint or masturbated. :anim_59:. But, all of this fear creation comes from watching too much TV.

LOL, I for one am not worried or fearful of the tech, If I was then I would not be online or have a mobile phone or buy any product, Now going dark and off the grid :smiley-laughing021:.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I bought a HD ariel from Amazon and I now get more than 20 channels in HD for free . I just aimed the ariel at the CN Tower here in Toronto . We have'nt had cable for at least 10 years or more now accept our new Internet hookup is through a cable . I also disconnected my phone line and the whole family are now on cell phones . It was costing me $50 a month from bell to get duct cleaning calls 4 times a week and nothing else . My cell is now the home number and now I just ignore the little duct cleaning basturds or I answer and waste there time when the mood hits me . But do they clean geese I say ??? and not just duct's ???

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I bought a HD ariel from Amazon and I now get more than 20 channels in HD for free . I just aimed the ariel at the CN Tower here in Toronto . We have'nt had cable for at least 10 years or more now accept our new Internet hookup is through a cable . I also disconnected my phone line and the whole family are now on cell phones . It was costing me $50 a month from bell to get duct cleaning calls 4 times a week and nothing else . My cell is now the home number and now I just ignore the little duct cleaning basturds or I answer and waste there time when the mood hits me . But do they clean geese I say ??? and not just duct's ???

:welcomewagon:

Welcome to the club. My primary line is also my cellphone too. :) I have an AT&T Bluetooth base unit phone with two satellites which automatically connect to my cellphone when I walk into the house. That way, I can plug my phone in to be charged, and when calls come in I can answer it (or make calls) from any of the three extensions in my place. And I went with Mohu digital flat antenna to pick up the digital channels. Those channels are much higher quality than cable!!!

You will be saving HUNDREDS of dollars, and that will become thousands over the years. :) CONGRATULATIONS! :joy:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Here is why cable is dying...Only sports remain the reason to watch it but even then, free to air broadcast most sports.
1..The quality off content available. Often, cable tv is filled all sorts of nonsense that's out right awful.You don't want to watch it. I really wish less people would watch MTV.
2.The other is convenience. A growing number of People these days, don't have the time to dedicate a timeslot for a show. It's just easier to download it either through netflix/itunes/amazon and watch it later.
3. No BS long ass adbreak.
4.It's cheaper.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is why cable is dying...Only sports remain the reason to watch it but even then, free to air broadcast most sports.
1..The quality off content available. Often, cable tv is filled all sorts of nonsense that's out right awful.You don't want to watch it. I really wish less people would watch MTV.
2.The other is convenience. A growing number of People these days, don't have the time to dedicate a timeslot for a show. It's just easier to download it either through netflix/itunes/amazon and watch it later.
3. No BS long ass adbreak.
4.It's cheaper.

Well okay then! That is it in a nutshell, and you are spot on. :) The interesting thing is that the experience of cord cutting is (seemingly) permanent. I dont know anybody who has cut the cord who has gone back to the cable or satellite. I have actually replicated my home setup for some clients and many of them continue to call and thank me for their freedom. :anim_59: I have one client whose main internet is his phone hotspot. He is using his Galaxy S4 utilizing the HDMI out via MHL (like the one for the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3). With it, he can output his phone screen to his big TV and type on it with a bluetooth keyboard. Pretty slick. :)

B

Backstep

I bought a HD ariel that fits on the satt dish and it came with a booster, great picture from stations 100 miles away.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

"The better to eat you with my dear..."

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I bought a HD ariel that fits on the satt dish and it came with a booster, great picture from stations 100 miles away.

You have a highdef little mermaid that sits on your satellite dish? I don't even want to know what her "booster" is-sounds kinky..what DO the neighbors think? :anim_59:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have three credit cards, and none of them have RFID chips in them. One of the main reasons to have an RFID chip in a credit card is to do "tap and pay". Read this: http://www.lowcards.com/credit-cards-rfid-13517. There would be no need for any credit card company to spend extra money to embed an RFID chip in a card secretly. If anything, they would sell the card services at a higher rate for having the chip and the ability to tap and pay.

Bottom line, is that I am not a criminal so I do not worry. I am not doing anything illegal, I am not a foreign national, I even have a valid government security clearance. What, me worry? No. Let others worry and wring their hands. :)

The tap and pay is sold by them as a benefit to you--but the benefits to them are far greater--they can track where you are- in real time, and sell that info to marketers

What I mean by trusting them is, they can say what they want about not putting a chip in the card. They are not afraid of being sued because the benefits to them far outweighs that potentiality.

It is a lot like a ways back when you had to pay extra to keep your ph company from selling your number.they would take the money and then release the data anyhow. All they would respond with is "sorry for the mix up, but for a small fee we can change your number again"

I am shocked! :icon_e_surprised: :anim_59: that you would take banks and credit companies at "face value" also known as "their word"

Its not about tracking criminals it is about identifying more ways to market to people and so long as the gov isn't doing it there is no constitutional protections for you or any expectation of privacy

-----------

As to TV and cutting the cord. We would have done this as well. However, we want Korea tv and the only/best way for us to get it is through directv but you have to buy a standard package also to get the Korean channels

Korean content on the net is unofficial and is all uploaded by fans. My wife likes real time info and new shows. Other then that, there are only about 5 shows I watch outside of the DIY and HGTV channels. I also watch news/documentaries with CNN,AL Jaz, LINKTV, FSTV and less and less MSNBC

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The tap and pay is sold by them as a benefit to you--but the benefits to them are far greater--they can track where you are- in real time, and sell that info to marketers

What I mean by trusting them is, they can say what they want about not putting a chip in the card. They are not afraid of being sued because the benefits to them far outweighs that potentiality.

They cannot track you in real time, dude! :) Where are you gettingt this shit? Benefits like what? Information about what I buy and where I shop is not going t help anybody because I do not watch advertising nor am I swayed by it. So, if they find out I love chocolate ice cream from Haagen Dazs, how can that info benefit them? They will never be able to influence me to buy it when I dont want to. And also, none of these scenarios can track you in real time. RFID chips have a limited read range, and no bank or retailer has the resources to do that. The government does, but they are not doing this.

It is a lot like a ways back when you had to pay extra to keep your ph company from selling your number.they would take the money and then release the data anyhow. All they would respond with is "sorry for the mix up, but for a small fee we can change your number again"

I am shocked! :icon_e_surprised: :anim_59: that you would take banks and credit companies at "face value" also known as "their word"

I dont think about any of this fear based stuff. I USE my bank to store my cash so I dont have to have it at home in a mattress. :) I dont need to trust them beyond their purpose which is to hold on to my money and give me a way to use a debit card and write checks. Outside of that, I dont care about them. I am in control of that relationship, not them.

Its not about tracking criminals it is about identifying more ways to market to people and so long as the gov isn't doing it there is no constitutional protections for you or any expectation of privacy

Yeah, but none of this is making any sense. If they cant semm me a steaming turd by using an ad on TV or in print or online, what makes them think they can do it if they track my movements and present the ad for the turd when I am buying toilet paper? I do not live in fear of things like this. I have an upstairs neighbor who always talks about chem trails, magnetic pollution and eavesdropping by the government, but this dude sells flowers for a living and worries about black helicopters and spy satellites. :facepalm:.

As to TV and cutting the cord. We would have done this as well. However, we want Korea tv and the only/best way for us to get it is through directv but you have to buy a standard package also to get the Korean channels

Korean content on the net is unofficial and is all uploaded by fans. My wife likes real time info and new shows. Other then that, there are only about 5 shows I watch outside of the DIY and HGTV channels. I also watch news/documentaries with CNN,AL Jaz, LINKTV, FSTV and less and less MSNBC

Youre still immersed in TV. :) Korean TV, French TV, whatever is still TV and exists for the same reason...to deliver advertising and propaganda to audiences. TV watching is programming. Its a one way street from them to you. There is nothing interactive about it. But you are still in the vast majority...the masses are watching TV in some form or another, even though the cable companies are bleeding customers, there are still satellite and broadcast watchers. A cord cutter does not watch TV as you know it. If you want to watch CNN, then you go to it on your computer...you dont "wait for it to come on".

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They cannot track you in real time, dude! :) Where are you gettingt this shit? Benefits like what? Information about what I buy and where I shop is not going t help anybody because I do not watch advertising nor am I swayed by it. So, if they find out I love chocolate ice cream from Haagen Dazs, how can that info benefit them? They will never be able to influence me to buy it when I dont want to. And also, none of these scenarios can track you in real time. RFID chips have a limited read range, and no bank or retailer has the resources to do that. The government does, but they are not doing this.
The information gathered does not have to be about *you* personally dude.
If they track, say a mall, and they can show 40 out of 100 peeps go to Haagen Dazs out of the 5 ice cream vendors, they can make statements like "haagen Dazs, most popular ice cream" and have proof to back it up. Your input is no more than one out of 40 people, but it is used for other stuff.

I dont think about any of this fear based stuff. I USE my bank to store my cash so I dont have to have it at home in a mattress. :) I dont need to trust them beyond their purpose which is to hold on to my money and give me a way to use a debit card and write checks. Outside of that, I dont care about them. I am in control of that relationship, not them.
And what happens if your bank "crashes" and the law takes over and you get 25c in the dollar back?
You are in control of where you put your money, TRUE. You are not NOT in control of what they do with it.
Yeah, but none of this is making any sense. If they cant semm me a steaming turd by using an ad on TV or in print or online, what makes them think they can do it if they track my movements and present the ad for the turd when I am buying toilet paper? I do not live in fear of things like this. I have an upstairs neighbor who always talks about chem trails, magnetic pollution and eavesdropping by the government, but this dude sells flowers for a living and worries about black helicopters and spy satellites. :facepalm:.
It is NOT about you.

Youre still immersed in TV. :) Korean TV, French TV, whatever is still TV and exists for the same reason...to deliver advertising and propaganda to audiences. TV watching is programming. Its a one way street from them to you. There is nothing interactive about it. But you are still in the vast majority...the masses are watching TV in some form or another, even though the cable companies are bleeding customers, there are still satellite and broadcast watchers. A cord cutter does not watch TV as you know it. If you want to watch CNN, then you go to it on your computer...you dont "wait for it to come on".

The net made it, at least the Illusion of it, being a 2 way street. As far as watching it "when you want" or "on demand", you are deluding yourself here dude. You cannot "source the material" before it is made, we don't have "spaceballs pre release to video" tech. Cord cutters have HUGE advantages on cost, and choice of source, but they cannot create anything, they really just respond to what has been made by others.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I bought a HD ariel from Amazon and I now get more than 20 channels in HD for free . I just aimed the ariel at the CN Tower here in Toronto . We have'nt had cable for at least 10 years or more now accept our new Internet hookup is through a cable .

If you get yourself a VPN like http://hidemyass.com, you can appear to be in the US and watch just about any show currently on TV on Hulu for free on a PC or notebook or for $7 through a smart device. Add Netflix and you'll even forget about the free-to-air TV. The VPN service lets you connect through nodes around the world. I sometimes connect to the UK to watch some shows before they get here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The information gathered does not have to be about *you* personally dude.
If they track, say a mall, and they can show 40 out of 100 peeps go to Haagen Dazs out of the 5 ice cream vendors, they can make statements like "haagen Dazs, most popular ice cream" and have proof to back it up. Your input is no more than one out of 40 people, but it is used for other stuff.

Okay well that is different then. :) This still does not affect cord cutters because we are not seeing targeted ads...or any ads at all. :) At best, the cord cutter RFID data only creates anomalies in the datasets for them.

And what happens if your bank "crashes" and the law takes over and you get 25c in the dollar back?
You are in control of where you put your money, TRUE. You are not NOT in control of what they do with it.

FDIC exists to prevent loss of my money if my bank crashes. Dude, are you reading this stuff you are writing? You are sounding like a VERY fearful person! I dont worry about my banks crashing, invasion by North Korea, pot raids or horse posses of the KKK. :anim_59: :P

The net made it, at least the Illusion of it, being a 2 way street. As far as watching it "when you want" or "on demand", you are deluding yourself here dude. You cannot "source the material" before it is made, we don't have "spaceballs pre release to video" tech. Cord cutters have HUGE advantages on cost, and choice of source, but they cannot create anything, they really just respond to what has been made by others.

Red bolded: How so? Cord cutters ARE watching when they want, and they ARE getting things on demand. What is delusional about that? And about creating things, I create things all the time. This website is an example. The purpose of cutting the cord has nothing to do with creating things. It has to do with eliminating advertising and getting control of the outside entertainment conduit. Others do it for convenience. For instance, when a cord cutter watches the same show a TV watcher watches, it is when they want and how they want, with no commercials. It means they are not paying advertisers for commercials they dont want to see, or channels they are not watching.