4K television....are they worth it?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You do know what fps is, right? The more frames shown per second, the more fluid the motion becomes. However, there is a point of saturation, cramming more frames within the span of 1 second becomes unnoticeable at some point.

It's like resolution. If I show you an image at 16k then the same image at 32k, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. There is a point where pixelation becomes too small for your eye to distinguish.
Yes and the more fps there are the more fluid it looks. It's like how consoles gamers can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Most console gamers can't tell the difference because they haven't used it for long. once you do, you'll noticed a significant difference. it's the same debate with people who can't tell the difference b/w flac and mp3 when there is a substantial difference.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes and the more fps there are the more fluid it looks. It's like how consoles gamers can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Most console gamers can't tell the difference because they haven't used it for long. once you do, you'll noticed a significant difference. it's the same debate with people who can't tell the difference b/w flac and mp3 when there is a substantial difference.

Yes, but there is a definite finite level where the human eye can no longer discern a difference, just as there are thresholds for every sense in the human body. We cannot see infrared or ultraviolet. We cannot hear above a certain frequency or below a certain frequency. A real world scenario: 80fps at 120mhz refresh rate. You cannot telll the difference between that and 160fps at 340mhz because your eye and brain just are unable to. 4K resolution is very very close, and 8K definitely exceeds the threshold. Anything faster is a waste because it cannot be appreciated.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yes, but there is a definite finite level where the human eye can no longer discern a difference, just as there are thresholds for every sense in the human body. We cannot see infrared or ultraviolet. We cannot hear above a certain frequency or below a certain frequency. A real world scenario: 80fps at 120mhz refresh rate. You cannot telll the difference between that and 160fps at 340mhz because your eye and brain just are unable to. 4K resolution is very very close, and 8K definitely exceeds the threshold. Anything faster is a waste because it cannot be appreciated.

Gaming at a high fps on a 120hz monitor you would get significantly less motion blur i.e the stuff that makes you feel sick.

http://www.blurbusters.com/motion-blur-comparision-between-60hz-vs-120hz-vs-lightboost/

There have been several studies done including this one done by blurbusters which state that most gamers prefer 120hz monitors over 60hz and these guys are reputable

http://www.blurbusters.com/blind-test-of-120hz-versus-60hz/

It can also prevent screen tearing if the graphics card is feeding more fps to your monitor than it can render.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Gaming at a high fps on a 120hz monitor you would get significantly less motion blur i.e the stuff that makes you feel sick.

http://www.blurbusters.com/motion-blur-comparision-between-60hz-vs-120hz-vs-lightboost/

There have been several studies done including this one done by blurbusters which state that most gamers prefer 120hz monitors over 60hz and these guys are reputable

http://www.blurbusters.com/blind-test-of-120hz-versus-60hz/

It can also prevent screen tearing if the graphics card is feeding more fps to your monitor than it can render.

120mhz is standard refresh rate for 3D in 1080p TVs. At 4k and 120mhz refresh rate, you are already at the outer limits of the ability of the eye to discern "discrete" frames. At 8K, you are already beyond it. Anything more than that makes no difference because you are no more able to perceive the difference there as you are able to hear ultrasonic audio wavelengths or see in the infrared or ultraviolet spectrum. Yet, you plopped down a disagree on me? :) My own TV already goes 120mhz when I fire up 3D Vision. But that wasnt the argument. The argument was that 4K-8K is already at the threshold of human perception, and I said that beyond that is pointless.

resolution_chart.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, have you checked any of these out in person? That test is why I have no desire to change from my HD 1080 to 4K. Up close, OMG what a difference. But not 6 feet away, you cannot really see that much difference IMO. 8000 dollars is a small vehicle! Not seeing the value there.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So, have you checked any of these out in person? That test is why I have no desire to change from my HD 1080 to 4K. Up close, OMG what a difference. But not 6 feet away, you cannot really see that much difference IMO. 8000 dollars is a small vehicle! Not seeing the value there.
Neither am I, which is why I will wait. Price tag I will admit that it beyond reach, but wait for all the people with more money than brains.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Oh yeah and I went to see LG's super ultra HD TVs and 4k looks very nice. Even if it was a display, they were playing netflix 4k video demo and they looked amazing. I know you are going to say that they turned up the contrast and they were running a 'tech demo' but I can spot monitors where they turn up the HDR/Contrast, but that makes it look worse IMO than anything without that damn bloom lighting. Anyway, 4k tv prices are coming down fast, so it's just a matter of time to buy one if you want one. Tech has come a long way though, they are ultra thin and with that they are also getting a bit more fragile too. I'll wait another 2-5 years until I pick one up for cheap. Image and video quality also depends on the image sensor too. With the ever changing and improving tech, we are getting better quality of videos.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
By the time you get around to buying a 4K tv it will already be outdated. Pretty soon people will be sitting on their sofa's with special headgear on which gives augmented reality. You will be able to see things that aren't really there as if their sitting right there on your coffee table. Or of course watch a movie in 4K while your spouse is watching something else on her own set and the children are playing games or whatever. The gear will be both cheaper and far more versatile than any 4K tv can be.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
By the time you get around to buying a 4K tv it will already be outdated. Pretty soon people will be sitting on their sofa's with special headgear on which gives augmented reality. You will be able to see things that aren't really there as if their sitting right there on your coffee table. Or of course watch a movie in 4K while your spouse is watching something else on her own set and the children are playing games or whatever. The gear will be both cheaper and far more versatile than any 4K tv can be.

I just recently tried the Google Cardboard, and it is freakin awesome! I mention that because the VR environment is as good as being in a theater, and that same 4K on a phone in a VR headset can put you 6ft from the screen, in the third row center seat every time. With headphones delivering full surround sound, you are fully immersed.

I am already ready to get a higher end VR headset and a phone with 4K display.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I just recently tried the Google Cardboard, and it is freakin awesome! I mention that because the VR environment is as good as being in a theater, and that same 4K on a phone in a VR headset can put you 6ft from the screen, in the third row center seat every time. With headphones delivering full surround sound, you are fully immersed.

I've been curious about this cardboard thing. Not interested in getting one but interested in the concept of it. Is it true that you can simply fold an empty coke-pack into a VR headset? I'm assuming it will require something else aside from the coke-pack. :P

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Well 4k on a phone is upscaled and with VR, you are requiring more horsepower. If a dedicated PC struggles with 4k, it's going to take sometime before we can shrink it down. YOu can also forget about trying to do 4k through a hard-drive. Hard drives are way too slow. You need flash drives to run 4k properly.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well 4k on a phone is upscaled and with VR, you are requiring more horsepower. If a dedicated PC struggles with 4k, it's going to take sometime before we can shrink it down. YOu can also forget about trying to do 4k through a hard-drive. Hard drives are way too slow. You need flash drives to run 4k properly.

There are several phones out with true 4K which is not upscaled. The content is upscaled, yes. But the actual screen is real 4K.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Camera/4K+video