2018 Low Carb, high protein and fat recipes for foods you can have every day.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought it might be cool to start a new Low Carb recipe thread for 2018, since for me personally, this time around with losing a large amount of weight has gotten the best results yet. In a nutshell, it is Intermittent Fasting combines with a Low Carb/high fat/protein diet. Using a 16 hour fasting/8 hours eating window, you can lost significant weight in a month's time (like, 20 pounds or more).

Most all of these recipes are keto friendly as written. If you are on a low carb diet, none of these recipes should kick you out of ketosis, so please consider ALL your ingredients if you post a recipe in the thread. :cool:

But this thread is about the recipes. :) Let me start out with my new favorite salad which is a cinch to make:

Low Carb Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Salad

Makes two two-cup servings.

Ingredients:

6 slices of cooked bacon
4 cups of shredded lettuce (the darker lettuces have better nutritional macros)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup diced tomatoes (can be canned with juice drained. NO SUGAR ADDED)

Using dietary shears or a sharp knife, chop the bacon roughly into medium bits. Crumble into lettuce in a mixing bowl. add the tomatoes and toss slightly. Add mayonnaise and carefully toss and mix salad until you get everything mixed well together. If you want, you can add some pepper but you won't need any salt.

That's it.

The temptation to spoon this onto a piece of toast or into a low carb tortilla for a wrap is huge, but that would defeat the purpose and you REALLY don't need it at all. This also means no croutons! Put the finished salad into a bowl and eat it like a salad. You will be pleasantly surprised at how satisfying it is and how much it totally replaces the BLT sandwich.

Options:

Add slices of avocado, or black olives, or sesame seeds or shredded cheese of your choice.

I am making some right now, so I will add the picture in a little bit and delete this line.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Another favorite low carb snack:

Tuna Canoe

Another super simple low carb snack is to make tuna salad, and serve it up on a crisp chilled Romaine lettuce blade.

Ingredients:

Tuna salad (make your favorite way with hard boiled egg to increase protein and give it more substance). Be sure not to add sugar. If you use sweet pickle relish, use no more than two tablespoons. You can add a packet of Splenda and also tomato or Parmesan if you want, without changing the carb count. These are not mine, but they look like this. I don't use tomatoes in my tuna salad, and I use a lot more mayo than I see in this pic.

tuna wraps.jpg

You can eat a few of these.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tips:

Cook bacon a pound at a time in the oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (NOT wax paper). Foil will work, but parchment paper is best. Lay out the whole pack if possible, but there may be a few strips too many in the package. Do them in a second batch. Once done, gather the parchment paper with the grease and toss. The baking sheet is practically perfectly clean. :) So is your oven. (this is my actual kitchen and oven)

IMG_20180115_175213[1].jpg
IMG_20180115_175238[1].jpg
IMG_20180115_182726[1].jpg

You can save the cooked bacon in a ziplock in your fridge, then use it as needed for omelettes, breakfast, snacks or salads.

Last edited:
Another favorite low carb snack:

Tuna Canoe

Another super simple low carb snack is to make tuna salad, and serve it up on a crisp chilled Romaine lettuce blade.

Ingredients:

Tuna salad (make your favorite way with hard boiled egg to increase protein and give it more substance). Be sure not to add sugar. If you use sweet pickle relish, use no more than two tablespoons. You can add a packet of Splenda and also tomato or Parmesan if you want, without changing the carb count. These are not mine, but they look like this. I don't use tomatoes in my tuna salad, and I use a lot more mayo than I see in this pic.

View attachment 33812

You can eat a few of these.

You said "Tuna canoe"! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You said "Tuna canoe"! :icon_lol:

That is my nickname for them. :) Does that phrase have another meaning I am unaware of? I would hate to refer to eating my tuna canoe, and then hear dishes dropping!

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Back in the 1970s, there was an advertised low carb bread that was baked with sawdust replacing some of the flour. Does anyone know what happened to this low carb bread?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Back in the 1970s, there was an advertised low carb bread that was baked with sawdust replacing some of the flour. Does anyone know what happened to this low carb bread?

People stopped buying it. :) When they realized that "alpha cellulose" listed in the ingredients was actually pulverized sawdust, they stopped buying it. But the truth is that most high fiber bread achieve the fiber count by using pulverized sawdust, and they have been doing it legally since 1984:

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/16/garden/wood-pulp-as-fiber-in-bread.html

I do not buy low carb baked goods anymore, but I was fond of Julian's Bakery Low Carb Bread. Now, I make cloud bread from eggs which is zero carb and contains no grains at all.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
People stopped buying it. :) When they realized that "alpha cellulose" listed in the ingredients was actually pulverized sawdust, they stopped buying it. But the truth is that most high fiber bread achieve the fiber count by using pulverized sawdust, and they have been doing it legally since 1984:

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/16/garden/wood-pulp-as-fiber-in-bread.html

I do not buy low carb baked goods anymore, but I was fond of Julian's Bakery Low Carb Bread. Now, I make cloud bread from eggs which is zero carb and contains no grains at all.

Just as long as the trees were not used to clean up heavy metal contamination, I do not see the problem with sawdust bread.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just as long as the trees were not used to clean up heavy metal contamination, I do not see the problem with sawdust bread.

I agree...sounds disgusting, but it is natural plant fiber. As long as it is disclosed, I have no problem with it. I am more concerned finding it in cat food, since cats are obligate carnivores and their bodies will not be fooled by cellulose.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Right now, I am making what they call "cloud bread". It used to be called "oopsie bread" back in the 1980s, but it's the same thing. It's basically made with entirely eggs and cream cheese. The process in which you prepare it is what turns it into the "bread" (which is nothing like actual bread, but subs it out great).

It's insanely easy to make, and the only hard part is whipping the whites until they form a meringue. It's tricky. If you get the slightest amount of yolk in it, the whites will not stiffen.

Most everything that a carb eater's diet needs bread for can be subbed out or the bread can be eliminated with no problem. It just isn't "traditional". I still eat tacos, it's just that now I use provolone slices baked to stiffness to make the shells. I still have shepherd's pie, but I sub out the potatoes for cauliflower mash. I found that I like BLT salad better than the BLT sandwich, and I am thoroughly amazed at how thoughtful the "creator" was to create celery...the natural dipping chip!

Last edited:
I agree...sounds disgusting, but it is natural plant fiber. As long as it is disclosed, I have no problem with it. I am more concerned finding it in cat food, since cats are obligate carnivores and their bodies will not be fooled by cellulose.

I just happened to glance at some dog treats at the store last week and was horrified to see that they contained mostly cheap grains. Absolutely no meat protein to speak of. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of pet owner would give that shit to their dog. It was pretty shocking. If I had dogs or cats I would much rather make them some real food with beef or chicken or fish. Or at the very least I would buy the expensive pet food with real meat in it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just happened to glance at some dog treats at the store last week and was horrified to see that they contained mostly cheap grains. Absolutely no meat protein to speak of. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of pet owner would give that shit to their dog. It was pretty shocking. If I had dogs or cats I would much rather make them some real food with beef or chicken or fish. Or at the very least I would buy the expensive pet food with real meat in it.

I do both. :) Now that I know what was in the dry foods I was feeding my other two cats, I refuse to feed any of it to Siete. An aside, Fisher's previous owner did not tell me that he was showing signs of kidney disease before I got him, which is why he always seemed to smell faintly of poo (his skin). I got his last few years. Another bad ingredient in treats is HFCS. It seems few are advocates for healthy pet foods.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This first time out making this cloud bread was frustrating. I got a TINY (and I mean measured in micrograms) amount of a yolk in my first bowl and the whites would not stiffen. But I had the yolks left. I cracked two more eggs and used fresh whites and baking powder and it worked the second time. The rounds are in the oven right now. Two eggs made only 5 rounds, but perhaps I made them too big? I understand I have to let them cool in the fridge in order for the consistency to form correctly.

IMG_20180124_214002.jpg

Looking at those, I could easily have gotten six of those rounds. I can see the ones I made too big. :)

I do both. :) Now that I know what was in the dry foods I was feeding my other two cats, I refuse to feed any of it to Siete. An aside, Fisher's previous owner did not tell me that he was showing signs of kidney disease before I got him, which is why he always seem to smell faintly of poo (his skin). I got his last few years. Another bad ingredient in treats is HFCS. It seems few are advocates for healthy pet foods.

Yeah the dog treats I was looking at could have been eaten by humans like cookies. That's how bad the ingredients list was. I'm not exaggerating. It was crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The cloud bread was actually very tasty and very useful. Even though it is made entirely of eggs and cream cheese, there was no "eggy" taste in the PB sandwich I made with it or the tuna/cheese sandwich. You can toast it too. :) Still, it's kinda messy to make and creates several dirty dishes. Two eggs makes 6 rounds, but you could do two batches for a dozen and save some time. The rounds keep about 3 days in the fridge. I have eaten all 5 rounds I made already, and I will probably make some more this weekend.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, I didn't make more cloud bread, but I did try something wonderfully different and it was well worth it! Pepperoni Pizza with Extra Cheese. :) What was so different about that? It is made with a cauliflower crust and homemade keto marinara sauce and it makes a crust sturdy enough to be held on your fingertips and even has a nice crunchy edge. It is fully keto, containing no flour and each slice comes out to about 1.5 net carbs. Here is the recipe for the crust:

https://detoxinista.com/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

I followed that recipe, and here is my pizza. I ate two slices, and it has an oddly oblong shape, but it is utterly delicious and has ZERO trace of cauliflower taste. The crust is like a thin crust pizza, and not quite as stiff but this is my first time out and I will tweak it. Still, nothing fell apart and I am happy I can indulge without guilt or risk of getting kicked out of ketosis. Pictures or it didn't happen, huh? :icon_e_smile: It isn't beautiful, but my next one will be! It tastes fantastic.

IMG_20180128_231653.jpg

Cauliflower really can sub out potatoes, if you understand it's character. It is heavy in water content, so for recipes using it like this crust, you have to squeeze the water out of the riced cauliflower (after being microwaved for 3 min) using a cheesecloth or clean dishtowel. You will be surprised how much water comes out, and also how much squeezed cauliflower looks like potatoes. It has a neutral taste, so whatever you use for seasonings will be taken up by the cauliflower which is why it makes such an awesome pizza crust, mashed with butter and chives and sour cream, hash browns, so many things.

Here is a glamour shot of one of my cauliflower pizza slices from that pizza. :)

cauliflower pizza first time.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Looking tasty to me! Good job George.

Thanks man! I am taking a look at your lentil soup....looks like your ingredients make it low carb. :) Did I miss any sugar or carbs other than veggies in it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My second batch of cloud bread was much better. I used three eggs this time, and I now have an egg separator so the whites were perfect and whipped perfectly. I was also able to get 8 rounds instead of only 5. The first 6 came out great. :)

IMG_20180201_174540.jpg

The last two are in the oven. These are light and crispy when they first come out of the oven. It isn't until they have cooled completely and been in the fridge for a few hours that the texture magically changes to a chewy, bread-like texture which is an awesome sub for grain bread. It was also easier to make, and since I started out with my mixer and used it's bowl, I had less dishes.