10 Billion Dollar Companies That Are Secretly Going Bankrupt

I don't eat them myself, but people are always telling me the bananas with the brown spots are the tastiest ones.

Why do you fear bananas?

phobias-a-presentation-by-mr-allah-dad-khan-former-dg-agri-extension-visiting-professor-the-university-of-agriculture-peshawar-pakistan-27-638.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Wrong, sorry! California has very VERY strict guidelines on what can be labeled organic, and it is not just some marketing gimmick like "New!" or "Improved!". California takes the term "organic" as seriously as it does allowing pharmacies to sell genuine medicines. California is the #1 agricultural producer in the United States, and we basically invented the whole organic non-GMO movement. Organic means no pesticides, additives or chemical fertilizers. It does not necessarily mean non-GMO, however. Whole Foods only sells organic produce, and it is noticeably higher quality. With no labels or anything, you can easily SEE the quality produce. They do not allow bruised fruit, wilted lettuce or brown spotted bananas.

Have you ever shopped at Whole Foods?
I can't shop at Whole foods because the company does not exist here yet. However, that's besides, the point. I go the grocery stores and the food there is just so good. Sure, quality sometimes varies from store to store, but that depends on the certain factors such as which season, which state the product came from, how old the stock. You cannot avoid products using pesticides.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

What makes organic farming different, then? It's not the use of pesticides, it's the origin of the pesticides used. Organic pesticides are those that are derived from natural sources and processed lightly if at all before use. This is different than the current pesticides used by conventional agriculture, which are generally synthetic. It has been assumed for years that pesticides that occur naturally (in certain plants, for example) are somehow better for us and the environment than those that have been created by man. As more research is done into their toxicity, however, this simply isn't true, either. Many natural pesticides have been found to be potential - or serious - health risks.2

You can say that they don't use fertilizer but they do.

As for bruised fruits and wiled lettuce, that's in most food stores here. You won't see those in any stores. No one likes buying food that looks unappealing because no one wants to put that in their mouth knowing well that it will make them sick. That's why record number of food is thrown away each year. This is regardless of whether it's organic or inorganic or which country you are from. I am not sure why people use that silly term. Each item is grown from the ground and up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I can't shop at Whole foods because the company does not exist here yet. However, that's besides, the point. I go the grocery stores and the food there is just so good. Sure, quality sometimes varies from store to store, but that depends on the certain factors such as which season, which state the product came from, how old the stock. You cannot avoid products using pesticides.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

You can say that they don't use fertilizer but they do.

As for bruised fruits and wiled lettuce, that's in most food stores here. You won't see those in any stores. No one likes buying food that looks unappealing because no one wants to put that in their mouth knowing well that it will make them sick. That's why record number of food is thrown away each year. This is regardless of whether it's organic or inorganic or which country you are from. I am not sure why people use that silly term. Each item is grown from the ground and up.

Like Lord Ba'al said, the brown spotted bananas are the tastiest. :) But Whole Foods will take them off the display unless they are perfect. Same with apples, peaches, whatever. You can ask the store workers where something comes from, and they will be able to tell you. Try that anywhere else. What happens here with the food that does not make the grade is that it goes to discount markets who will easily sell it for much less. A rejected spotted Whole Foods banana is still organic and sourced as locally as possible.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Like Lord Ba'al said, the brown spotted bananas are the tastiest. :) But Whole Foods will take them off the display unless they are perfect. Same with apples, peaches, whatever. You can ask the store workers where something comes from, and they will be able to tell you. Try that anywhere else. What happens here with the food that does not make the grade is that it goes to discount markets who will easily sell it for much less. A rejected spotted Whole Foods banana is still organic and sourced as locally as possible.
Here we don't have a problem with quality of foods. Generally most of our vegetables look nice and appealing.

Amazon Jeff is now the richest man through valuation. People might say that stock is not as good cash, but owning stock is just as good as cash IMO because of the liquidity side of things. I am tempted to buy a few stocks in Alphabet and Amazon because these two companies are going to absolutely change the world in the next 10-20 years as if they haven't already. Fun fact, had you purchased amazon back in 20 years in 1997 at $5000, where the stock price was at 90 dollars, you would have been a millionaire. Infact, 5,000,000.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
If Amazon is doing so badly then how come Jeff Bezos is so rich? And how can they stay in business if they've never made a profit? Something doesn't quite seem to add up there.

Google says that Amazon.com has a net worth of 90 billion USD.

Google also says that Amazon.com had a gross operating profit:
Screenshot_20171030_161211.png

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

The brown spots indicate that the sugar has started to turn to ethyl alcohol. I like my bananas to be greenish-yellow.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
That Fresh Thyme stuff looks interesting. I wouldn't mind going to one next time I'm in USA. Last time I was there I did go to a whole foods to have a look around. Man that shit was overpriced. The only thing I ended up buying was a fresh pizza slice, which strangely for about 3 bucks and a half was not too expensive.

In Morgantown, WV there used to be a steak restaurant named Prime Thyme.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Why do you fear bananas?

phobias-a-presentation-by-mr-allah-dad-khan-former-dg-agri-extension-visiting-professor-the-university-of-agriculture-peshawar-pakistan-27-638.jpg

I once watched a YouTube video of an urban sex worker saying that she used to have a client who would pull down his pants and swat over a trash can while peeling bananas and shoving them up his arse. She said that she could not eat bananas after that and developed a nutritional deficiency as a result.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Getting back to Uber mentality for a sec. I can't stand this new way of getting a taxi. It is all they have here, not Uber, but you drive your own car WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE IT. I take these taxis home from my late shifts in FonaCab and Valucab when I can find one. That is right, they only drive when they can make the coin, so if you need one when nobody feels like driving, then good damn luck getting a taxi. I talk to them all the time and they will tell you, I made enough money today, so I done after this. You will call up and they will tell you. Sorry, No drivers are available, call back in an hour. This is a tourist heavy city and so they make their money during the early part of most days. Then, since the bus systems stops at 11pm, you will find yourself walking home from work. The taxi company however is making pure cash, the drivers' pay to sustain their cars and gas and a small amount to the taxi company and you sit there paying for the fare, if you can get a taxi.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Taxis are fine here. And cheap. Only time it's hard to get a cab is mainly when everybody is out and using them. And sometimes when there's been an accident somewhere. Because this fucking shithole city gets gridlocked as soon as some moron drives off the road on the freeway. I kid you not.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I am still going to disagree. I don't work 9-5pm Monday-Friday, unlike some people, so I run into a problem getting one plenty of times and have to wait hella long or walk home at night.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Don't you both reside in the same city?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yep we do. I think @Azaliarazor has a different definition of what a long wait is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
After pulling a 10 hour shift, at 10pm, anything longer than 20 mintues is bullshit. Plus, sometimes they just say...call back later, we don't have any.

They do do that sometimes. Which is kinda ridiculous. I guess we can agree on that.